Help she's bleedin!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help she's bleedin!

After I got home the other night I noticed oil blown on the pipes and a drip in the driveway. It seems that the oil that you can see is from below. The case seals looked dry and it seems to be from something lower. Case bolts? I'm not sure exactly where to start. I've got it degreased and ready to try and figure it out over the next couple of days. We're still having nice days in the NW and I want to twist the throttle!
    Thanks for some advice and wisdom?

What ever the cause that there is a 'tear down' none the less.....sorry mate, the truth hurts.
    Rob
    1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
    Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Base gasket looks blown.

Comment

That looks like both you and I have the same job over winter!!

Comment

Looks like the base gasket has given up ship, there is a tear down in your future.
          1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
          80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
          1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished :D
          83 gs750ed- first new purchase
          85 EX500- vintage track weapon
          1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
          “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
          If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

Gasket time. Buy OEM Suzuki gaskets and get a manual, if you don't one.
            Larry D
            1980 GS450S
            1981 GS450S
            2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Thanks Guys!

I suspected the base gasket, but didn't want to believe it. I got the bike this spring for $450 and an old 12 gauge. It ran beautifully all summer after I put some new pipes on and a stage 3 jet kit.
              What else should I look for as I start pulling it apart? What additional things should I replace just because I'm in there?
              -b

Comment

Just check everything out. Probably the base and head gasket and rings. Not that big of a job if you get the factory service manual and take your time.
                I'd also rebuild the cam chain tensioner at the same time, again not that big of a job.

Comment

Valve guides and valve seals as well.
                  Rob
                  Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Valve seals yes, guides no. And lap the valves.

Comment

The tear down is complete. Now what?

Hey guys,

After the base gasket failed this fall the proud GS has been sitting for a couple months. I finally built a table and got the beast up and torn apart.

I have the head and base off and on the table. It appears that the top end had been redone in the not so distant past, as it looks really good and clean. The bottom end is probably still original.

Should I worry about the rings and pistons? I'm in there now, but I hesitate because it ran great and had good compression before. Maybe I should just clean the tops of the pistons off really well and start rebuilding with new seals? I will be lapping the valves and valve seats as suggested as well as rebuilding the cam chain tensioner.

I would like some advice on what I should really worry about on the bottom end while I'm here?

Thanks in advance!!

Comment

Regarding the pistons, rings, and cylinders... While it's all apart, it may not be a bad idea to measure everything per the service manual. But most likely, you can just throw it all back together and it will be fine forever.

There's usually no need to tear into the bottom end unless you know something is wrong in there or if the engine has very high mileage.
                        Charles
                        --
                        1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

Originally posted by eil View Post
                          Regarding the pistons, rings, and cylinders... While it's all apart, it may not be a bad idea to measure everything per the service manual. But most likely, you can just throw it all back together and it will be fine forever.

There's usually no need to tear into the bottom end unless you know something is wrong in there or if the engine has very high mileage.
                          Good advice. And with your plan to lap the valves and put new seals in you 'should' be good to go.
                          Rob

Comment

+1 on new OEM parts when you back together with everything, save the grief and she'll last longer than you will.

Cheers

Comment

Wait 7 days before riding again.
                              MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                              1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Working...
                              X