Help she's bleedin!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Engine Gasket Set???

First, I 'd like to thank everybody for the help so far. Its been well, helpful...

I just learned a lesson the hard way. I bought the Athena Gasket Set. Wow! Now I believe the words of caution. The base gasket fits but not like a glove, the head gasket is off by a lot. So much that I wouldn't even attempt to seal it up like that.

My question is where do I find a complete set of OEM gaskets? Do I have to dig through the fiches and buy each one individually? Ouch!

So far, I've polished the pistons, installed new rings, had the cylinders honed, replaced the exhaust valves and resurfaced the intake valves, and new valve seals. I'm ready to ride. Damn you Athena!!

Comment

Originally posted by BTreadz View Post
      First, I 'd like to thank everybody for the help so far. Its been well, helpful...

I just learned a lesson the hard way. I bought the Athena Gasket Set. Wow! Now I believe the words of caution.

Damn you Athena!!
      Didn't you read the replies? #6 was the 1st to tell you to use OEM. Duh,
      Larry

'79 GS 1000E
      '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
      '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
      '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
      '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend, now for sale.

Comment

You should only need a new base gasket the small oval shaped O-rings the go corners of cylinder, and head gasket which if you get oem should be a layered metal gasket, so shouldn't need cam chain opening o-ring. At least the one I just got for my 850 was. Head gasket will be costly but other stuff is not. terrylee

Comment

Not totally my fault...

A buddy who is also rebuilding his bike bought the kit for me without my knowledge. He was doing me a favor. His kit doesn't fit his Yamaha either. Here's to OEM gaskets!

Thanks terrylee!

Comment

Stripped bolt question??

The OEM base, head, and cam cover gaskets fit perfectly and she is almost back together.

As I was torqing the last cam bearing bolt down it just began to spin...After backing it out I saw that the threads had come with the bolt.

So my question is: Is this a drill and retap situation or a heliocoil? Which method will be more reliable for a cam bearing bolt?

As always, Thanks fellas!

Comment

Originally posted by BTreadz View Post
              The OEM base, head, and cam cover gaskets fit perfectly and she is almost back together.

As I was torqing the last cam bearing bolt down it just began to spin...After backing it out I saw that the threads had come with the bolt.

So my question is: Is this a drill and retap situation or a heliocoil? Which method will be more reliable for a cam bearing bolt?

As always, Thanks fellas!
              If the threads are gone I would heli coil it just make sure you get it straight. I doubt you would be able to get a bigger bolt to fit through the cap. Also make sure you have the correct torque spec. And pay attention to inch pounds vs foot pounds.

Comment

Success!!!

I fired her up this evening for the first time and she is purring like a kitten! I can't wait to get my welder buddy on the rear end and get it buttoned back up.

Thanks for all the help fellas!!!!

Comment

Working...
                X