SHims

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Scout View Post
    Somewhere in the world all the larger suzuki shims must gather together to never be used again.
    That would be eBay...
    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

I am tasking my friend to obtain them now that we know what we need.
      When he goes looking for shims, make sure he gets the right ones.

Kawasaki and some Yamaha shims are 29.0mm diameter, but Suzuki shims are 29.5mm.

Probably quicker and easier is to contact Ray at the GS Shim Club, he posted right above you, so he's easy to find, too.

Last edited by Steve; 10-16-2013, 01:14 PM.
      sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I don't know how many times we have to tell you this.

Shim club, shim club, shim club, shim club, shim club.

I didn't copy/paste. I typed that 5 times. Plus the other times it was recommended earlier in the thread. If you go shopping for shims, you are wasting your time and money. Use the shim club.

Hey, dude, try the shim club. Cheaper, faster, and less of a headache.

Did you know there's a shim club? You can obtain shims there. It's a place in the world where old unused suzuki 29.5mm shims go to collect dust and be re-utilized by people such as yourself at a very minimal cost.

-Matt

P.S. You should check out the shim club.

Comment

lemonshindig, I suspect that somewhere, buried deep in your last post, you might be hinting that he use the shim club. Just thinking out loud here.

Comment

Not sure where you are, but if there's an old-skool motorcycle shop or boneyard around that deals with Japanese bikes, they might stock new shims.

I've built up a pretty nice shim kit over the years by buying what I need -- and what I predict I need for the next valve check -- from a shop called Cycle Recycle II here in Indy.

They ship parts worldwide, but they just happen to be 20 minutes from my house.

One thing I can say with some confidence is that very few, if any, Suzuki dealers have shim kits. There's a current model that still uses these shims (the GS500) but no one keeps shim kits around any more.
            1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
            2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
            2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
            Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
              Not sure where you are, but if there's an old-skool motorcycle shop or boneyard around that deals with Japanese bikes, they might stock new shims.

I've built up a pretty nice shim kit over the years by buying what I need -- and what I predict I need for the next valve check -- from a shop called Cycle Recycle II here in Indy.

They ship parts worldwide, but they just happen to be 20 minutes from my house.

One thing I can say with some confidence is that very few, if any, Suzuki dealers have shim kits. There's a current model that still uses these shims (the GS500) but no one keeps shim kits around any more.
              Thanks guys! I left the task of obtaining the shims to the bike owner with specific instructions on which sizes to get. He left me a message that they have been ordered, not sure with who. The bike is in Colorado and I'll be home on Wednesday hopefully to button up this valve job. Thanks for all your help so far, I'll be sure to use Shim Club in the future

Comment

Where are you located in Colorado? Several times folks have dropped by to pick up a shim they needed. I have been known to deliver and even install them for the sake of helping out. Ray
                "Nobody goes there anymore, it's too crowded" -Yogi Berra
                GS Valve Shim Club http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=122394
                1978 GS1000EC Back home with DJ
                1979 GS1000SN The new hope
                1986 VFR700F2 Recycled

Comment

Originally posted by Ghostgs1 View Post
                  Where are you located in Colorado? Several times folks have dropped by to pick up a shim they needed. I have been known to deliver and even install them for the sake of helping out. Ray
                  Ah hell, I see your right down the road. My friend who owns the bike lives in Littleton, I live in an extended stay hotel in Denver. Funny thing is the bike actually came out of Longmont, right in your backyard! I told my buddy to sign up for this forum but I don't know if he did or not. He will probably need you in the future, my time in the Rockies is almost up and hoping to get the bike up to schedule on maintenance and running well for him before I leave. I got a message from him saying he ordered the shims but did not say from who. Nice to meet you

Comment

Ah hell, I see your right down the road. My friend who owns the bike lives in Littleton, I live in an extended stay hotel in Denver. Funny thing is the bike actually came out of Longmont, right in your backyard! I told my buddy to sign up for this forum but I don't know if he did or not. He will probably need you in the future, my time in the Rockies is almost up and hoping to get the bike up to schedule on maintenance and running well for him before I leave. I got a message from him saying he ordered the shims but did not say from who. Nice to meet you
                    It really is a small world when it comes to these old bikes. If you friend needs help after you leave let him know there are folks here that will help. Ray
                    1986 VFR700F2 Recycled

Comment

Originally posted by Ghostgs1 View Post
                      It really is a small world when it comes to these old bikes. If you friend needs help after you leave let him know there are folks here that will help. Ray
                      When I finish up and get him rode worthy he is going to have a Harbor Freight lift to sell. Maybe one of you guys can get it from him for a good price. I am hoping the weather holds just long enough to get this biked tuned properly and get out and ride it a little. Tires on the bike are shot. I could do them on a tire machine but I'm not big on tire irons. Who do you recommend locally?

Comment

I've always done my own, so I don't know who is good at that. There are a lot of guys on here that may be able to aim you in the right direction. Anyone? Tom? Jeff?
                        1986 VFR700F2 Recycled

Comment

Working...
                        X