Mystery clutch problem, need detectives

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mystery clutch problem, need detectives

I just recently finished my 550 to 650 conversion. After the initial start, I pulled in the clutch and put her into first but she leaped forward then died. So, the clutch was not working even though I have good resistance at the lever. So, I pulled the clutch adjustment cover off and followed the procedure to adjust the clutch. All looks good. I can see the plates moving back and forth now with the clutch cover removed. However, if I put the bike in gear and try and roll the bike forward or backward, the clutch refuses to disengage the transmission.

So, I pulled the pressure plate and springs as well as all the plates. The inner hub will not turn alone. Both the basket and the hub will only turn together. Is that correct? I can't figure out what I did wrong. This is a new clutch and cable. I need ideas on how to figure out what's wrong. I'm stumped...

Here's the basket.

1982 GS550M Rebuilt Winter '12 - 550 to 673cc engine conversion.
    1989 Kawasaki ZX-7 Ninja
    2016 Ducati Scrambler Full Throttle

The basket should turn separately from the hub. I dont have any answers to what the problem could be.

Have to wait for some one with more knowledge.

Comment

That's what I thought. I'm pulling it apart and make sure I put it all together properly.
      1989 Kawasaki ZX-7 Ninja

Comment

Did you forget those flat needle bearings betwen the two? The hub nut would be just smashing the two together if you did.
        http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

there should be a flat washer that fits between the basket and the hub (not a flat needle bearing). there is another washer that fits over the shaft as well, it goes on first before you fit the oil pump drive gear and clutch basket
          1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

as mentioned if the inner hub will not turn by hand(spin) with all the plates removed you will have direct drive once assembled.
            if this is the case find out where or what you have in the wrong place or maybe left out.

Comment

I took it all apart and put it back together and its fine now. I think I may have over tourqued the clutch hub nut.
              1989 Kawasaki ZX-7 Ninja

Comment

Working...
              X