Valve cover gasket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Valve cover gasket

Will I need to put anything on it or can I just stick it on there dry? I purchased the 79' GS850 valve cover gasket from Z1.

I used a little gasket goo around the rubber Ds and the gasket face just an inch either side of the Ds.

It may not be necessary but I did have a little leak from one corner before doing the valve clearances and after doing them with a new gasket. So I did it again with a little goo.

Greetings
    Richard
    sigpic
    GS1150 EF bought Jun 2015
    GS1150 ES bought Mar 2014: ES Makeover Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
    GS1100 G (2) bought Aug 2013: Road Runner Project Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
    GS1100 G (1) Dad bought new 1985 (in rebuild) see: Dad's GS1100 G Rebuild AND blog: Go to the Blog
    Previously owned: Suzuki GS750 EF (Canada), Suzuki GS750 (UK)(Avatar circa 1977), Yamaha XT500, Suzuki T500, Honda XL125, Garelli 50
    Join the United Kingdom (UK) Suzuki GS Facebook Group here

Comment

I had some leaking around the D's after installing a new gasket. I replaced the D's and have had the gasket on and off a few times with no leaks.
      -Mark
      Boston, MA
      Suck Squeeze Bang Blow..
      sigpic
      1980 GS850G with 79 carbs.....

Comment

less is more
        go dry and don't overtighten those bolts!

Comment

Some of us use oil or a light film of grease to make them easier to remove next time.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
            Some of us use oil or a light film of grease to make them easier to remove next time.

sounds more like a cooking class

Comment

It works the same way.

Put them on dry, spend time scraping the gasket next time. Lube it up first, re use the gasket many times.

No brainer.
              http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                It works the same way.

Put them on dry, spend time scraping the gasket next time. Lube it up first, re use the gasket many times.

No brainer.
                I've never had to scrape a gasket yet, that I installed dry with the correct (minimal) torque ... and get to re-use 'em no problem. And next time 'under the hood', the gasket isn't really 'dry' anymore.
                Not to say that a pre-lube is 'wrong' by any means!! but a gasket in this application, with correct torque is actually, eventually, going to have an oil film. (edit: unless parked for long time, of course)
                Last edited by Guest; 10-24-2013, 02:28 PM.

Comment

I use High Temp Permatex graphite in oil anti seize on them. It works well.
                  sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Wide range of opinions. For those that use grease, what kind do you use? For those that use oil, what kind? I don't know if I have to replace the half-moons, but I'll find out soon enough!

Comment

Just a thought...
                      How about using non stick cooking spray? Has anyone tried that stuff?

Comment

I used synthetic high temp bearing grease but that only because it was the only thing I had laying around. I only put it on the head side. I left the engine side dry so the gasket would stick to the head and not the cover. So far no leaks.
                        Last edited by JTGS850GL; 10-26-2013, 03:34 PM.
                        http://img633.imageshack.us/img633/811/douMvs.jpg
                        1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
                        1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
                        1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.;)

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

WD40 works from my experience. I soaked the gasket in it.
                          NO PIC THANKS TO FOTO BUCKET FOR BEING RIDICULOUS

Current Rides: 1980 Suzuki GS1000ET, 2009 Yamaha FZ1, 1983 Honda CB1100F, 2006 H-D Fatboy
                          Previous Rides: 1972 Yamaha DS7, 1977 Yamaha RD400D, '79 RD400F Daytona Special, '82 RD350LC, 1980 Suzuki GS1000E (sold that one), 1982 Honda CB900F, 1984 Kawasaki GPZ900R

Comment

Mine was never replaced, as I was the first one in the engine in thirty years. I actuallt used a dremel and a small sanding disc...

If you ever plan on doing a rebuild, or if you want to save some time and the money for a new gasket every time you do some maintenance,

part #RG-11173-45004

@

I use these for my valve cover and stator. They even cut me the prototypes for their oil pan and clutch gaskets!

Great quality and craftsmanship, never dry out, never bake into the engine. Worth the 20 or 30 bucks.

Comment

Originally posted by GSX1000E View Post
                              Just a thought...
                              How about using non stick cooking spray? Has anyone tried that stuff?
                              Haven't tried it but I like the idea.
                              http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Working...
                              X