Tricks to installing piano wire in clutch basket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tricks to installing piano wire in clutch basket

Help! I am attempting to install the piano wire back into the basket. Any tricks to help with this? The basket is still in the bike and I don't want to pull it unless I have to. I'm working on a 1983 GS1100GK, 8432 miles on the clock. THANKS

Welcome to GSR. (I am assuming you are a real person).

Best to post this in 'technical' section.
    Do introrduce youself in 'owners' section. Do post pic of bike.

Don't know nuffin bout no piano wire in clutch basket (hence my suspicions).

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
    GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply and advice Redman, I'll repost the question to the correct forum. I did have lots of background but after two failed attempts to correctly post, and lose of data each time... my question became increasingly less detailed. I'll get this forum process down shortly. After taking the bike out of storage, two pair of steel "driven plates" were stuck to their friction "drive plates". During disassembly, I removed the inner most steel driven plate that is retained by the stopper ring or "Piano wire" I used the term basket but more correctly should have called it the Sleeve Hub. I have read where some folks leave out the retaining wire with only stiff "cold oil" 1st gear shift resulting. I would like to reinstall the stopper ring or piano wire but the "wave washer" is making this difficult. I was looking for advice from someone who has installed this wire as to the best way. Note: the Sleeve Hub containing the wave washer seat, wave washer, steel disc, stopper ring (piano wire), friction disc, etc... is still in the bike and I would prefer not to tear down the clutch any farther than I have already. By the way... great web site! been to it many, many times, lots of great info, first time to post my own question. THANKS

Comment

Originally posted by Custom GK View Post
        Thanks for the quick reply and advice Redman, I'll repost the question to the correct forum. I did have lots of background but after two failed attempts to correctly post, and lose of data each time... my question became increasingly less detailed. I'll get this forum process down shortly. After taking the bike out of storage, two pair of steel "driven plates" were stuck to their friction "drive plates". During disassembly, I removed the inner most steel driven plate that is retained by the stopper ring or "Piano wire" I used the term basket but more correctly should have called it the Sleeve Hub. I have read where some folks leave out the retaining wire with only stiff "cold oil" 1st gear shift resulting. I would like to reinstall the stopper ring or piano wire but the "wave washer" is making this difficult. I was looking for advice from someone who has installed this wire as to the best way. Note: the Sleeve Hub containing the wave washer seat, wave washer, steel disc, stopper ring (piano wire), friction disc, etc... is still in the bike and I would prefer not to tear down the clutch any farther than I have already. By the way... great web site! been to it many, many times, lots of great info, first time to post my own question. THANKS
        Yah, if take too long (as I often do) it logs you out. Usally can just log back on, and your post gets posted, but sometimes not. So, one trick is to copy (Ctrl C ) things before trying to enter/post it. Then if get bombed out, you can paste (Ctrl V) it all back later.

Oh, you are further into clutch basket than I have gone. Have replaced plates and springs before, but that is as far as I have gone.

Yah, post in technical section. More gearheads there.

Again, welcome to GSR.

PS: Sometimes some "bots" manage to get registered and make posts, usally in this section, probably because it is one of the first sections.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
        GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Working...
        X