Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

case splitting tool

Hi every one
    Going to start to pull down and rebuild my engine but I'm having problems finding the right case splitting tool . Do I need to have the right tool for the job or can I use some thing else.
    regards
    John
    Sydney Australia

what "case splitting tool" are you referring too? what bike are you referring too?
    you do not need a special tool to split cases, just remove all the bolts and possibly with a few taps of a soft mallet the cases will come apart.
    1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

look at the front of the engine and the rear of the tranny. Youll see "tabs" and "slots" as to where the pry bar is to be applied. Suzuki had a tool that basically fit in and opened instead of closed when you squeezed the handles.

A flat bar and some twisting motion will pop them apart.
      MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
      1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

The only case I've split was a 78 1000. On the front right there is a place on the outside of the case where you thread in a bolt to push the halves apart.

cg
        sigpic
        83 GS1100g
        2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Originally posted by john mc View Post
          Hi every one
          Going to start to pull down and rebuild my engine but I'm having problems finding the right case splitting tool . Do I need to have the right tool for the job or can I use some thing else.
          regards
          John
          Sydney Australia
          Are you used to working on 2 stroke motors?GS motors a horizontally split unlike most(all?)2 stroke singles.

Comment

four cyclinder

Comment

The manual references a tool that Suzuki makes but you don't need it. Save your money and do as Chuck suggests.
              Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

MOST importantly, make SURE you have removed ALL of the bolts holding the cases together!!! Also, PLEASE add the model & size bike you have in your posts. Thanks, Ray.

Comment

What Ray is referring to is that there are bolts inside the oil sump under the oil pick up screen that must cone out too.
                  MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                  1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

There's no need for a case splitting tool as far as I know. I had to split the cases myself almost a year ago and after making sure that all bolts were removed, I just hit it GENTLY with a piece of 2x4 and a big hammer (or Persuasion as we liked to call it).

Good luck!

Comment

I used a slide hammer on the tabs on my 650 when I split the cases.
                      Just tap gently, the sound will change when it becomes unstuck.

Comment

Sorry Ray
                        my bike is a 1981 gsx 400 fx four cyclinder
                        regards
                        john Sydney australia

Comment

Working...
                        X