Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My Official Valve/Head Thread

Hey guys,

I going to be doing a valve adjustment and some general loving on my head pretty soon. I'm getting the parts/tools together that I'm going to order and had a couple questions. I figured I'd have more questions when I start it (or at least pictures!) so I'll start my official thread

Firstly, my bike is missing the metal covers that go on the outside over the ends of the camshafts, overtop of the "D" plugs. They were missing when I got it. Do I need these? Apart from being nice and shiny, I imagine they may be protecting the plastic "D" plugs from weathering? They're not too expensive, but I'm on a very tight budget. Four new ones will cost me $67.

My Purchase List:
    -Valve Shim Tool (Z1, $14)
    -"D" Plugs (Z1, $13)
    -25 blade metric feeler gauges (Z1, $14)
    -Cyc Head Gasket (GSSuzuki, $16)
    -Breather Gasket (GSSuzuki, $6)

I'm also replacing all the bolts, and the oil separator mesh things in the breather. It's probably fine, but they're really cheap and I like to be complete.

I'm also ordering some other stuff not associated with the head, such as petcock gasket, clutch/throttle cables, lube/lube tool, various nuts and bolts (I like to replace *ALL* the nuts/bolts just because they are probably originals on there and stressed over the years). Do you guys recommend a cable lube tool like this one? I plan on replacing all the cables soon.
    Z1 Enterprises specializes in quality Motorcycle parts for Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki and Yamaha Classic Japanese motorcycles from the 1970's and 1980's.

I've shopped around on various sites. Z1 seems to be the best, but they don't have everything. GSSuzuki seems to be the cheapest source of OEM parts.

Anyway, thanks! And I'll definitely post some pictures.
    Last edited by Guest; 11-02-2013, 11:41 AM.

Suzuki Parts Monster

I have found Suzuki Parts Monster to be cheaper for OEM parts. Everything else I get from Z1.
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B9zH8w8Civs8ejBJWjdvYi1LNTg&resourcekey=0-hlJp0Yc4K_VN9g7Jyy4KQg&authuser=fussbucket_1%40msn.com&usp=drive_fs
    1983 GS750ED-Horsetraded for the Ironhead
    1981 HD XLH

Drew's 850 L Restoration

Drew's 83 750E Project

Comment

Great project, just remember you'll need to resynch your carbs after you do this job so organize how or who will do that for you as well. As for bolts, are you putting in S/S allen heads? pretty cheap sets for sale out there.
      Rob
      1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
      Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Z1 doesn't post everything on their site but can get everything. You'll just want to give them a call or even send Jeff.Saunders a PM as he's one of their employees or owners...something like that
        Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
        1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
        2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
        Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
        and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Firstly, my bike is missing the metal covers that go on the outside over the ends of the camshafts, overtop of the "D" plugs. They were missing when I got it. Do I need these? Apart from being nice and shiny, I imagine they may be protecting the plastic "D" plugs from weathering? They're not too expensive, but I'm on a very tight budget. Four new ones will cost me $67.
          No, you don't strictly need them, they're just ornamentation. You should be able to get used ones a little cheaper from eBay if you aren't terribly picky about condition.
          Charles
          --
          1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

So I finally got around to popping the head off and adjusting the valves. Most of them are in spec, it looks good in there.

Exhaust..0.07..0.05..0.04..<0.04
            Intake....0.07..0.05..0.04....0.07

I planned on replacing #3 intake and exhaust, and the #4 exhaust. After my calculations, I basically need two 2.60x shims. The shop near me doesn't have the "x" sized shims for fine-tuning it, nor does my OEM supplier. Anyone know where I can get *NEW* shims? I checked Z1, CycleReCycle, and my OEM supplier. None have the "x" size. Should I just give up and go with the regular sizes?

Is it better running on the tighter (less clearance) side or the loose (more clearance) side? Does it differ for the intake and exhaust?

Anyway, thanks guys!

Comment

They don't sell the half size shims, but if you measure each shim with a micrometer, you can often find half sizes (assuming you have a few to choose from).
              Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

I got a few shims from Z1, hopefully I can find something to fit. I also got new OEM bolts and gaskets for the head cover and the breather, as well as new "D" fittings.

Should I use a dab of grease over the D fittings to ensure a good seal? White lithium grease? Wikipedia says it has a drip temp of 350° to 400° F...the head shouldn't get that hot, so it should be alright?

Also, would white lithium grease be a good general lube for things like the pedals and the clutch push assembly thing?

Comment

Valve cover gasket came shipped folded in half. I'll sit a textbook on top of it to flatten it out. But this shouldn't affect it, will it? I was sort of upset when I unpacked it.

Comment

No, they should not have folded it when they shipped it. That's why it comes with an additional piece of cardboard inside the package, to deter folding.

Is it just bent or did is there an actual crease in the gasket? If it's just bent, it's probably serviceable. You can straighten it out with a textbook like you said. Or in the worst case, a smidgen of gasket adhesive can help hold it down during installation. If there is a crease, it will probably never seal well so call up your vendor and have them ship you another. If they won't, order one from somewhere else and never buy from them again.
                    Last edited by eil; 04-24-2014, 12:01 PM.
                    Charles
                    --
                    1979 Suzuki GS850G

Comment

I'm curious who sent them like that?
                      http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Folded the valve cover gasket in half to ship it. That hilarious!!!!!

Guess thats one way those mail order parts suppliers cut costs. Hire ex burger flippers from Mickey D's instead of someone with a brain to do their shipping.

In my 41 years of being around motorcycle dealerships, I have never seen anybody fold a gasket in half to save on shipping costs!!!!
                        Last edited by Guest; 04-24-2014, 02:32 PM. Reason: badd grammer again!!!

Comment

G&S Suzuki. It was literally folded in half inside the USPS flat-rate envelope. There is a crease in the gasket. The one side is slightly torn up.

I just looked closer at it. It's ruined.

Comment

Yep, that's bad. Call them up and (politely) see if they will make it right. Hopefully they're eager to do so. If not, you might mention this thread and remind them that this forum sends them quite a lot of business.
                            Charles
                            --
                            1979 Suzuki GS850G

Comment

I don't think we send them much business anymore. I have only heard bad remarks about G&S since about a year ago when they stopped selling good parts cheap and started the lying about orders, the endless delaying, more lying about the delaying and now the folding of gaskets.
                              http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Working...
                              X