Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do I replace the base gasket if I pull the head?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do I replace the base gasket if I pull the head?

Hey kids, I don't plan on removing or moving the cylinder block, but do I need to lap in the valves, one is not so good. Just wondering if I remove the compression off of the base gasket do I need to replace it?

Yes on both accounts. Look on Basscliff's site as I posted up a how to on lapping valves thanks to Steve.
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

One of the valves is burnt?
      http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

I've done the job both ways and have not had leaks. The base gasket may or may not leak sort of a crap shoot. If you want to spend the time and money to replace the base gasket, you may want to consider honing the bores and replacing the rings. I would replace the valve stem seals and lap the valves.

Comment

It a case of......you might as well, as long as you're in there.....If you're going to trouble of removing the engine and tearing it down, do anything and everything you can while it's apart. It would be a b!tch to get it all back together only to find out that the base gasket leaks or a valve stem seal is seaping oil.....
          Larry D
          1980 GS450S
          1981 GS450S
          2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

It would also be a bitch to do all that work and find out you didn't have to, what's wrong with the one valve? It's not likely for one valve to wear out, if it is burnt lapping won't help. I just looked at your other posts, low compression #4. Have you adjusted the valve clearances correctly? You can't have good compession if the valves are not closing.
            Last edited by tkent02; 11-15-2013, 10:08 AM.
            http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Do the base gasket, because if you don't, it's going to leak! That's just how your luck will turn out, lol. It's very simply and quick....and why not, you've already done 90% of the work after you got the heads off anyways.

Just make sure to get some ATV/Motorcycle piston ring compressors before you put the jug back on.(52mm-85mm ones on Ebay work great, remember to oil them before using)

Comment

Working...
              X