Bouncing Tach Needle!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bouncing Tach Needle!!

Seems to start happening when the temp gets in the low 40s.

Very annoying and distracting but otherwise harmless.

Cure?

Tried: new tach cable, old tach cable, greased tach cable, opened up tach, oiled tach

Tach is internally dirty and crusted with old grease. As the temps drop the dirty grease makes it stick. Some will say to just spray WD40 into the tach drive of the gauge. I would recommend that you open the tach up and clean/lube it properly. I've had pretty good success with just de-crimping the gauge and spraying the rotating assemblies with contact cleaner and then using 3-in-one or sowing machine oil.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
    1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
    1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Originally posted by JTGS850GL View Post
      Tach is internally dirty and crusted with old grease. As the temps drop the dirty grease makes it stick. Some will say to just spray WD40 into the tach drive of the gauge. I would recommend that you open the tach up and clean/lube it properly. I've had pretty good success with just de-crimping the gauge and spraying the rotating assemblies with contact cleaner and then using 3-in-one or sowing machine oil.
      would this work with a noisy speedo too?
      Currently in the Stable :
      2002 Honda Goldwing GL1800 Sunburst Pearl Orange
      1983 Suzuki GS850 GL Blue & Black

" I am never lost until I run out of fuel...until that moment I am EXPLORING."
      - Carl R. Munkwitz

Munk's Maxim: "There is no such thing as a cheap motorcycle"

Comment

In my case both the tach and speedo needed the same cleaning procedure. In the speedo's case it was stuck and in the tach's case it was very slow to respond. Both were fixed by cleaning. Noisy speedo may be dirty or may be a cable issue as well. After 30+ years I'd say most of our gauges could use a good cleaning and relube.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
        1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
        1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

I have just shot some spray lithium grease up betwen the part that turns with the cable and the housing. That's where the squeal comes from. Done several bikes that way, it's fine. Speedo and tach are the same.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Working...
          X