Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GS1000e leaks more after fixing the leak!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS1000e leaks more after fixing the leak!

Okay guys, I've been lurking here a few months, following a lot of great advice, so thank you. I have an '82 GS1100E and I've been chasing an oil leak for a while now. I completed a valve adjustment, replaced the valve cover gasket, half moons and the infamous #17 o-rings that leak. Yes I used a torque wrench on everything. The oil leaks from the front of the engine between cylinders 2 and 3 got worse. I pulled it apart again and checked to see if I damaged the o-rings but they looked perfect. This time I put a thin coat of RTV on them and reinstalled. I buttoned everything up, again torquing to specs. Still leaks more than before I tried to fix the leak. It leaks quite a bit now, wrapping around the motor and spraying on my jeans. Any ideas on what I could have done wrong?
    Last edited by Guest; 12-05-2013, 08:04 PM.

Sounds like you did everything right Maybe a head gasket ?
    Last edited by Guest; 12-05-2013, 08:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SqDancerLynn1 View Post
      Maybe a head gasket ?
      Seems to be coming from above that, and it leaked less immediately before valve adjustment and replacing seals. If it were the head gasket I would think it would have stayed the same as before doing the work.

Comment

I'd start with the tach drive... easy fix to replace the seal & o-ring.
        '85 GS550L - SOLD
        '85 GS550E - SOLD
        '82 GS650GL - SOLD
        '81 GS750L - SOLD
        '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
        '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
        '82 GS1100G - SOLD
        '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

the foot spray trick works a treat for finding oil leaks..
          i don't "think" the tach drive would leak enough to spray your legs down, but ya never know .
          1983 GS 1100 ESD :D

Comment

OEM valve cover gasket?

The valve cover gaskets on these engines also slip out of place with maddening ease.
            1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
            2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
            2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
            Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Also if the can chain tensioner leaks it can go up and forward to the front. Sneaky one, that.
              http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

I'm on the hunt

Yes, used a new OEM valve cover gasket. The old gasket was removed very carefully. The new gasket is not leaking.Yes I cleaned the engine well, then used the foot powder trick before starting this. I think it's time to do it again. I always have the weird ones and have things fail that have never failed for any one else. I'll let you know what happens. No time this weekend, but maybe next. I don't think anything is cracked and I'm fairly certain it's not the head gasket. Thanks for the help.

Comment

Next time you retorque cam cover bolts, start at center (between 2 and 3) and work your way to ends. Try doing in two go's - maybe 2/3 torque first go and finish later. I let mine sit after first go and then finish up to high end. corrosion makes it difficult to be exact.
                  1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Working...
                  X