Gs75E 1983 smoking on one cylinder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gs75E 1983 smoking on one cylinder

Hi, I've stripped my bike top end down and rebuilt it but I have one cylinder that is smoking badly. i am puzzled because the compression is ok @ 125 psi and not the lowest pressure by far. I've renewed the valve stem seals but this has not changed anything. If the compression is ok does that mean its not the rings that want replacing, and if so does anyone have any more ideas before I have to buy more gaskets again !!!!! Any help would much appreciated.

May be you broke a oil ring or have the ends of the rings lined up, or a valve seal popped off
    1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
    80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
    1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished :D
    83 gs750ed- first new purchase
    85 EX500- vintage track weapon
    1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
    “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
    If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

Ok what do you classify as rebuilding the top end. A full replacement of Gaskets, rings, cylinder hone, oil seals, gaskets and valve guide seals or just valve guide seals?

Comment

Does your bike have the cam chain tunnel rectangular o ring? If the smoke is from one of the inner cylinders it's possible you squashed this on the rebuild.

Otherwise my advice is run it for a bit and see if it clears. If it doesn't you'll have to lift the top anyway.
        79 GS1000S
        79 GS1000S (another one)
        80 GSX750
        80 GS550
        80 CB650 cafe racer
        75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
        75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Hi. I replaced the rings, bottom and head gasket valve stem seals and cover gasket. As far as I can see the only way the oil can get in is through the valves or up through the piston rings. Thanks.

Comment

How do you know it's only one cylinder?

Do you have individual exhaust pipes, like a Honda 750K or an early KZ900?

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Hi I know because its got no exhausts on at the moment

Comment

In that case, you might be better off by not running it at all.

There are rumors of valve damage if you run the engine with no exhaust pipes, I don't know how true they are.

sigpic
                mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Dam, that has to be LOUD! Yeah, I think you can burn exhaust valves with running the engine with no exhaust system.
                  My Motorcycles:
                  22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
                  22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
                  82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
                  81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
                  79 1000e (all original)
                  82 850g (all original)
                  80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

if it is the #2 cyl. smoking you may have a bad fuel valve.

Comment

It is the #2 cylinder !! Can you please tell me where the fuel valve comes into the oil in the cylinder that I have. Thanks. Didn't know it had a fuel valve !!

Comment

#2 carb has a vacuum nipple that goes to the fuel valve.
                        when the valve malfunctions sometimes it let's fuel flow into the #2 carb intake and will foul the plug and make the bike smoke black normally...this will wash the rings out and wear the cyl. very fast.
                        put a vacuum cap on the #2 carb and the fuel valve on prime position and see it it quits smoking.

Comment

Originally posted by blowerbike View Post
                          put a vacuum cap on the #2 carb and the fuel valve on prime position and see it it quits smoking.
                          Then put the pipe back on and ride the snot out of it.
                          http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Got it. Il be trying that thanks for you help il keep you posted.

Comment

Hi. Well it's not the fuel valve. Made no difference. Il take Blowerbike's advise and get it back together and ride the hell out of it and see what happens. Think it must be the oil rings though as I can't think of any thing else it can be !!

Comment

Working...
                              X