nead a little help would you use this ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

nead a little help would you use this ?

The short of it I had to open up the 83 1100 and got this Suzuki head gasket off Ebay envelope showed a little lite damage and when I opened it up I found this
    so would you chance using this or not
    Thanks for any input
    Tom

What I would use is the focus on the camera, can't even see what you are talking about.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Ok try this or this
      Sorry the closer I got the worse the pic got but you could not see it if I was not close
      Last edited by Guest; 12-31-2013, 09:32 PM.

Comment

See if you can get a refund and return it.
        It's probably OK to use but it's about the principle.
        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Looks fine. Use it. It will seal ok. The damage looks more superficial to me.

Comment

I would return it, the mls gaskets don't seal as easily as the older asbestos type material. Last thing I would want to do would to use it and need to do it again when I couldn't get it to seal.

Just my opinion..

Cheers

Comment

If I wasn't in a hurry I'd try to return it. If I was, or if I couldn't get the refund I'd try it, it will probably seal. No big deal if it doesn't, just replace it with a good one.

Comment

I sent the person a email asking what he will do on it
                I don't want to open a case on this I just had to return a part I got for the 80 GN400X and don't want to look like I am hard to please I won 6 things on Ebay in the last 3 weeks and 2 of them are bent a clutch lever and the gasket I have over 100 byes on Ebay and only 3 of them were bad in some way

Comment

If it was me, I'd be happy to use it - it still looks good around the cylinder itself.

It's always a ball-ache to send stuff back but, as a buyer, you're in a good position on eBay. It'll take time to sort, but you will get your money back.
                  Good luck with whatever you choose.
                  1996 GSF1200 — Pretty Much Standard.
                  1983 GSX750ES — Cafe Racer Project
                  1980 GS550E — 673 Conversion.
                  1980 GS400 — Cafe Racer???

http://biketech7.blogspot.com.au

Comment

WFIW, your question "so would you chance using this or not" implies whether or not it will seal. As pointed out by others, the sealing area is not damage.

Comment

Originally posted by Kyler View Post
                      WFIW, your question "so would you chance using this or not" implies whether or not it will seal. As pointed out by others, the sealing area is not damage.
                      My thing is the damage is between the stud hole and an oil passage to the cams and I don't want an oil leak.
                      I understand I may be making more out of it then needs be and that is why I asked for others thought on it.
                      Is that passage under pressure or not ?
                      Is there A 50/50 chance or better it will leak?
                      If so it has taken me 6 months or more to get my self to take it apart to fix thing and if it leaks when I get done it may be longer be for I can get my self to do it again. I have 2 other motors that need my time all so and I don't want to spend my time doing things twice.
                      I have a bad back and most days after work it is all I can do to get my self to do the smaller things I need to do around the house let alone get into things like this
                      That's why I am doing it now over the holidays when I am off work and sending it back to get a new one AFTER I am back to work sucks I wanted to get the hardest part of this head change done now and finish it up a little at a time as I can my son has is all so off work and is helping me keep going on this I work first shift and he is on 3rds so when we are working it is hard to get together to get things done so this is a bigger setback for me then it mite be for most
                      Anyways sorry for the miss spell miss phrased mess another one of my short comings
                      Tom

Comment

Now again, this is personal opinion, but I'd use it. If that's an oil way, I'd smear the slightest amount of Hylomar or RTV on the gasket when fitting it just to help it out. Unfortunately, this is a case of suck it and see, and you're the only one that can make that decision.

Regarding a "smear" of sealant - that's exactly what it is. Not a 2mm bead slapped on ready to squeeze out everywhere (especially into oil ways). If you're unsure, put a bead on the jaws of your vice, or a G-clamp, and see how far it goes when you clamp it up. You don't need much.
                        1996 GSF1200 — Pretty Much Standard.
                        1983 GSX750ES — Cafe Racer Project
                        1980 GS550E — 673 Conversion.
                        1980 GS400 — Cafe Racer???

http://biketech7.blogspot.com.au

Comment

Do NOT use silicone. I would use the gasket but I would put Gasgacinch on both sides of the gasket, the top of the block & the head surface. Just KNOW that it will be a bear to get apart after that but it WILL seal. Make sure you let the Gasgacinch dry completely before assembly. Ray.

Comment

Originally posted by rapidray View Post
                            Do NOT use silicone. I would use the gasket but I would put Gasgacinch on both sides of the gasket, the top of the block & the head surface. Just KNOW that it will be a bear to get apart after that but it WILL seal. Make sure you let the Gasgacinch dry completely before assembly. Ray.
                            Ray, is there a way to remove gasgacinch from aluminum without machining it?
                            Some chemical that cuts it or something?

Comment

Working...
                            X