1982 gs750 question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1982 gs750 question

Im going to tearing my egine down to replace gaskets which are leaking figured while i was in there i was going to replace rings and rehone. what size hone do i need? also what ele should i do while im there? thanks

Replace the valve stem seals. Are the rings worn out?
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Smokes alittle when cold for about 30 secs but fig do it cuz theres about 30k on it

Comment

30K is nothing. The valve stem seals re old and hard, they tend to leak while it's parked. When you start it up there's smoke.

Test the compression.

Comment

Yea when its cold

Comment

what size hone am i going to need

Comment

I could be wrong,but i think these guys are trying to tell you that you probably don't need one. If i were you I'd get a compression tester and make sure. After checking your valve clearances of course. Hones are usually a spring loaded stone arrangment so the answer to your question would be "small" since a single hone can be used for a range of bore sizes.

Comment

Originally posted by django89 View Post
                what size hone am i going to need
                There is no hone necessary to replace the valve seals.

sigpic
                mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Valves seals are the problem you are describing.
                  If you have a base and head gasket leak then I would go ahead and do the rings and hone.
                  I use flex hones to hone my cylinder

I think this may be the right diameter.
                  1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                  1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Yeah,there's more than one kind of hone.If he's going down to the base gasket he should probably mic the bores to decide if a re-ring will do, correct?

Comment

Originally posted by Dj66 View Post
                      Yeah,there's more than one kind of hone.If he's going down to the base gasket he should probably mic the bores to decide if a re-ring will do, correct?
                      Unless the 30,000 miles were put on in 1/4 mile segments, he shouldn't even need to re-hone the bores.

sigpic
                      Family Portrait
                      Siblings and Spouses
                      Mom's first ride
                      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

Some folks like to buy new rings.

Some folks like to run them another 100,000 miles first.

Das macht nichts.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                          Das macht nichts.
                          My feelings, exactly.

sigpic
                          Family Portrait
                          Siblings and Spouses
                          Mom's first ride

Comment

I understand what you guys r saying completely and yea I have a base leak and a head seap and the valve seals was just brought up now so a new check on my list but I figured while I had the head off I would do rings hone and a new timing chain while i had it apart until then later have to rip it apart again later and do rings and t/chain and have to do gaskets again :-/ I dunno my first real build looking to save some time and busted knuckles oh BTW this is my goal

Comment

http://www.pipeburn.com/home/2011/6/...nda-cb750.html

Comment

Working...
                              X