Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Valve adjusting headaches

New-to-me 1980 GS1000G. ( The Beast)
    The bike didn't run nearly as good as I thought it should, so I'm cleaning the RS36 carbs, and checking vale clearance.
    My headache is:
    A): intake 1 and 2 @ .005" and .006"
    Ex 1 at .002", ex 2 @ .007"
    I've never heard of the clearance so far out of spec, so I stopped where I was, for fear of "I must be doing something wrong". Could carbon buildup be the culprit? The plugs are really fouled. { well, 3 of 'em. }See pic below.
    B): the #1 in and ex buckets are floating in "very old" looking oil, and all other buckets have a nice coating of clean, new oil. I changed the oil before last ride (20 miles, also my first ride on this bike.) I can understand the puddles, esp. since it's the kickstand side, but why is it so old/dirty after a 20 mile ride?

1980 GS1000G - The Beast - GOING... GOING... yup, it's gone. I'm bikeless !!! GAaaahh !!!
    1978 KZ1000C1 Police - GONE !
    1983 GPZ750, aka ZX750A1 - restored, fresh paint... Gave it back, it was a loaner !!!
    Check My Albums for some of the 30+ headaches I've dealt with

I know -JUST- enough to make me REALLY dangerous !

the second to the right plug, was that from #2?
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

No, the plugs are pictured 1 -> 4 from left to right.
      1980 GS1000G - The Beast - GOING... GOING... yup, it's gone. I'm bikeless !!! GAaaahh !!!
      1983 GPZ750, aka ZX750A1 - restored, fresh paint... Gave it back, it was a loaner !!!

Comment

Put them within limits, ride.
        http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Dirty oil: maybe sludge in the oil pan contaminating the oil?

Sooty spark plugs: rich mixture?

Valve clearances: someone didn't adjust the shims properly?
          Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

This bike was sitting for awhile, yeah?

It just looks to me like the PO (or his mechanic) didn't know what they were doing. Get the proper shims (keep those old ones), clean the carbs, seal up the air/fuel intake path, and you should be good. Barring any carb tuning, of course, since it sounds like your setup is not stock.

Not sure about the oil, it might be that some of the old oil just hasn't worked its way out of the head yet.

Probably want to treat her to a new set of spark plugs as well, they will be easier to read as you go about tuning and plug chops and whatnot.
            Charles
            --
            1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
              Dirty oil: maybe sludge in the oil pan contaminating the oil? Only on 2 lifters? The others have a light coat of "clean" oil, and are not "under water"

Sooty spark plugs: rich mixture? I think the P.O. fiddled with the carbs without a clue, and there was a 90 deg kink in the fuel line.

Valve clearances: someone didn't adjust the shims properly?
              I'm hoping it's that simple... Thanks
              Last edited by exdirtbiker; 02-20-2014, 10:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by eil View Post
                This bike was sitting for awhile, yeah? No more than a month, I think.

..., seal up the air/fuel intake path.. Already ordering intake O-rings from Mr Barr

Probably want to treat her to a new set of spark plugs ...
                spares are on the shelf

Comment

Just for the record, I got 3 guys helping me within 10 minutes of posting my problem.
                  I LOVE THIS FORUM !
                  Thank You !

Comment

If those are indeed Web cams then the clearance should be .004"- .006".

Comment

Originally posted by TeamDar View Post
                      I was going to guess that maybe the last 'mechanic' was confusing INCH and METRIC numbers and was shooting for 0.003 to 0.008".

I had not noticed the "Web cams" reference in his sig. Good catch.

sigpic
                      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                      Family Portrait
                      Siblings and Spouses
                      Mom's first ride
                      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by TeamDar View Post
                        Really ? Thanks ! I had a hunch they needed different clearance, but couldn't find it in writing, so I stopped thinking about it.
                        The readings I got make a lot more sense now.
                        ( again, see my previous posting ! )

Awful nice of Web to put the info on the end where you can see it...

Comment

And seeing how these are dated "9 94", I'm starting to realize the P.O. did NO maintenance at all. And rode the %^&* outta it for 20 years.

Comment

Those are drop in cams that can be used on a stock engine.

Comment

Here is the spec sheet:

Comment

Working...
                              X