orange goop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

orange goop

so i bought the bike, probably should have looked it over more carefully, but anyway this is what i have now. looks like someone went nuts with a tube of orange rtv sealant, if there is such a thing that's what i'm guessing this is. i'm hoping that a gasket went bad and they just slopped this all over the head instead of fixing the problem, but i won't know until i pull it, which i hadn't planned on doing but guess i'm going to now.

anyone ever seen the likes of this?

yep, that is definitely RTV

Comment

That's a mess. Needs a top end rebuild

Comment

Pull it all off and see what happens. The PO might have been looking in the wrong place and it might just have been a leaky cam cover or suchlike.
        79 GS1000S
        79 GS1000S (another one)
        80 GSX750
        80 GS550
        80 CB650 cafe racer
        75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
        75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Stop feeding your bike pumpkins.....

Comment

Originally posted by GateKeeper View Post
            Stop feeding your bike pumpkins.....

Comment

well, i got the title today. the lady at the DMV messed up though.

I'm now the proud owner of a 2004 Suzuki GS1 with a clear NJ title and registration. The VIN is accurate at least.

A bike this rare must be worth something, right?

Comment

Worth more if it didn't have all that RTV all over it.

Does it run?

Does it leak?

What is the history?

If it's been running and having no problems I might just keep it there until I found a nice tight replacement engine to pop in, or until it was convenient to fix this one….

But if it just needs gaskets on everything, it's pretty easy to fix. Couple days if you hit it.
                http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by the schwartz View Post
                  I'm now the proud owner of a 2004 Suzuki GS1 with a clear NJ title and registration.
                  What does that do to your insurance?
                  '83 GS650G
                  '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                    Worth more if it didn't have all that RTV all over it.

Does it run?

Does it leak?

What is the history?

If it's been running and having no problems I might just keep it there until I found a nice tight replacement engine to pop in, or until it was convenient to fix this one….

But if it just needs gaskets on everything, it's pretty easy to fix. Couple days if you hit it.
                    truth is i have no idea. i was blinded by lust and a $700 price tag, and bought the bike with the carbs pulled and a bunch of messed up paperwork. i'm starting to regret the purchase but i own it now, so...

i just heard it run for the first time a few weeks ago after finishing the carb rebuild and getting an external tank hooked up. it was great aside from the leaking gas which I think (hope) came from the carb fuel T. I got a new one from Z1 and need to reconnect all of those yet again to try running it some more and make sure it eliminated the fuel leak.

but as far as the health and history of the engine/bike, i'm pretty clueless.
                    i wonder if it could just be gaskets, but honestly the RTV is in so many places that I'm kind of bewildered by it. i definitely thought about just leaving it alone and seeing if it holds, but i don't think i can do it. i think i'm going to need to get it all off if i'm going to ever be happy with this thing.

effing 2004 GS1's are nothing but trouble.

Comment

Originally posted by BigD_83 View Post
                      What does that do to your insurance?
                      hell if i know.
                      what does it do for me if i get pulled over and that's what it says on my registration? of course i'm getting ahead of myself anyway because that would imply a running bike.

Comment

hell if i know.
                        what does it do for me if i get pulled over and that's what it says on my registration? of course i'm getting ahead of myself anyway because that would imply a running bike.
                        ...and that implies you still have a positive attitude
                        '83 GS650G
                        '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

well, i got the title today. the lady at the DMV messed up though.

I'm now the proud owner of a 2004 Suzuki GS1 with a clear NJ title and registration. The VIN is accurate at least.

A bike this rare must be worth something, right?

Not sure what is funny about this, this is no time for joking around! Get back there tomorrow and have them fix it or this could make life very difficult down the road

Comment

effing 2004 GS1's are nothing but trouble.
                            I'm sorry, yours is the only one on the effing planet that causes any trouble at all.
                            http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

PO didn't put the orange crap on the gaskets! He just smeared it on the outside of the motor.
                              Amateur hour.
                              1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                              1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Working...
                              X