rings ? yes / no ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

rings ? yes / no ?

I believe I already know the answer to this question, but what the hell I will toss it out there ! I have a 80’ GS750e that was taken apart some 8 years ago, and the head removed, the top of the cylinders had a light surfacerust so I removed the cylinders and did a light hone on the. They now like great (only 26000mil, on the bike) Soo the question is do I need to replace the rings ?
    Thanks for the input !

That depends on the condition of the rings.
    Dogma
    --
    O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
    '80 GS850 GLT
    '80 GS1000 GT
    '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Some would go with new rings no matter what.
      Others would measure and inspect the rings, check ring gap, tension, etc., replace if necessary.
      Still others would take a chance on old ragged out rings.

Totally up to you. I'm in the middle group most of the time.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Get a manual and check ring gap.
        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Also,use the piston to push the rings into the bore evenly,check the ring gap,but also shine a light from the backside to see if you can see light around the circumference.
          Rings will do no good if the bore is out of round.

Comment

Smokes

Ring end gap will tell all. Did the same procedure on my CB77 Superhawk and all was fine save the fact that I neglected to replace the valve guide seals first go round. You mention it sat for a while so since your in there I figured I'd bring it up. Had to tear the top end down twice when it started smoking like hell. Course mine were 20 years older and sat considerably longer.

If you have a machine shop you trust they'll check for out of round or taper. If not it might be a good time to start establishing one. The one I use knows I'll pay $50.00 for a ball hone job and inspection no matter what so he's not reluctant to look at things for me. If you can catch your finger nail on the ridge at the top of the cylinder be prepared to buy a one or two over kit from where it is now.
            Last edited by Guest; 03-02-2014, 08:17 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X