Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chain rubbing against guard!

Chain guard rubbing...

I finally got around to cleaning up the chain guard that whitttom sold me a while back and found that it doesn't fit. I took it down the driveway and then back up again when I heard the weird rubbing sounds.

Disassembly revealed feint marks on the chain rivits and this scratch on the chain guard bracket.

Remembering back to the yob I got the bike from, he claimed that a 'cheap chinese chain off ebay' broke on him which caused the chain guard to get mangled, turn signals to get removed and several skin grafts for his arms and torso where the hot motor sat on him after the bike fell over.

Setting aside for the moment that he no doubt got what he deserved in the exchange, what are the chances that I have the wrong size chain/sprockets and his inability to order the correct parts is what caused his problem in the first place?

Anyone got any tips for me as to how I can fix it so that I have a chain guard again?

Show us a picture of how the chain comes out of the sprocket cover.

More likely he screwed something up than a cheap chain just up and failed.

Wrong spacer or something like that. Show us a pic of the rear sprocket too. Are the front an rear sprockets aligned?

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Put a washer between it and the swing arm and space it away from the chain.
      MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
      1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
        Put a washer between it and the swing arm and space it away from the chain.
        I would rather find out why the chain is in the wrong place than move the chain guard over with a band aid.

Comment

Maybe the chaingaurd bracket is a bit bent and needs a tweak to put it straight?
          sigpic

Don't say can't, as anything is possible with time and effort, but, if you don't have time things get tougher and require more effort.

Comment

The backer plate could just be bent in a tad too. But yeah everyone should check the sprockets alignments too. If all the axle spacers are there and in the correct places then "SHOULD" be pretty close. I always roll the wheel and watch as the teeth engage the links for binding or side hitting. Then put the sprocket cover on if satisfied.
            MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
            1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

A spacer wouldn't help, if anything I'd need to cut away a piece of the chain guard to get the plate CLOSER to the swing arm and away from the chain.

Looking closer though, i noticed that the chain is VERY close to the rear shock as well. I am strongly suspecting a sprocket alignment issue, like washers put on the insides of the sprockets instead of the outsides or something. That would be very typical of this kid's work.

Can someone help me locate an exploded parts diagram(s) (1980 GS750L) with all the spacers in the right places? That way I can go through part by part and make sure it's right.

Shock and chain:

Chain leaving sprocket cover:

A peek inside the sprocket cover:

Comment

Wow that's very close to shock !!

Comment

What a nasty mess,i would start by giving it a good cleaning.
                  81 gs 1100 E One owner,Me.

Comment

Looks like a good time for a 530 conversion kit and a serious cleaning.
                    sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
                    1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
                    2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

I don't have a 750 engine here to look at, but it looks like the chain comes out too far to the outside, like a washer was put on before the sprocket or something. Maybe one of those offset dprockets with the spacer built into it. Should only be the sprocket, then the thin lock washer you bend up, then the nut.

Actually I just looked, your model shows a small washer before the sprocket, the sprocket with the steel plate on the outside of it, then what looks like a locknut. Not showing any bendable lock washer. I wonder if he put the sprocket inside out so the plate is acting as a spacer? Here's a pic if you can see it:

Last edited by tkent02; 03-02-2014, 06:51 PM.

Comment

It is very possible that something got put together inside out.

Also, the sprocket cover is full of foam which is collecting all that nasty. I don't remember that from my 550, but I've never owned one of these bikes from new.

Maybe I should just buy a new side cover since this one is cracked (the same earlier incident)... You don't think the foam is supposed to be a fix for the cracked cover???

Comment

No, the foam is standard to deaden noise.
                          sigpic

Don't say can't, as anything is possible with time and effort, but, if you don't have time things get tougher and require more effort.

Comment

Originally posted by mrbill5491 View Post
                            Looks like a good time for a 530 conversion kit and a serious cleaning.
                            I'm wanting to agree, but it would be a shame to toss an almost new chain and sprocket set if it can be made to work properly.

Comment

Hijack

Anybody need an original Z1 (1973) chain guard? Plastic, in rough shape. From an actual widow-maker!

Show us a pic of your Z1, and it's yours. I'll pay shipping.
                              1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Working...
                              X