No announcement yet.

Chain rubbing against guard!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have taken this snowy day to go through my, sadly unheated, garage and determine that I nave not a spanner big enough in my collection.

The largest thing my VWs have needed was a 27mm and that's too small. As is the 1-1/4" I bought for the old Dodge van.

What do I need? A 32? 34?

Comment

If all else fails use an adjustable wrench, press on the rear brake and give it a go...

Comment

Should be 32mm.
        79 GS1000S
        79 GS1000S (another one)
        80 GSX750
        80 GS550
        80 CB650 cafe racer
        75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
        75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Originally posted by Griffyn View Post
          I'm wanting to agree, but it would be a shame to toss an almost new chain and sprocket set if it can be made to work properly.
          That's an almost new chain? Could have fooled me, looks like the orings are cracking and the rust on the inner side plates scream replace me. How many miles are on it?
          sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
          1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
          2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike:dancing: 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Originally posted by mrbill5491 View Post
            That's an almost new chain? Could have fooled me, looks like the orings are cracking and the rust on the inner side plates scream replace me. How many miles are on it?
            The guy who had it before me owned the bike for less than 4000 miles total, in that time he rode it for a year or two, replaced the chain, had the chain break on him, got done with the hospital visits from that incident and put this chain on it. That was about 3 years ago, but only a couple thousand miles of riding.

Then again, this is the same guy who had it in for $300 worth of carb work done 3 times in 4 years and still complained that 'it would only start on ether'. So I shouldn't be shocked that his new parts are wearing out.

Glancing over the receipts which came with the bike, it looks like he got a DID 630K X 96 in 8/2010 and then a Forward Motorsports FS-630HO-96 in 6/2011. I assume the FS chain is the one on the bike and the DID is the one that broke on him, but that is just an assumption.

And now you can see part of why I had to get the bike away from this kid before he ruined it completely.

Comment

Originally posted by Griffyn View Post
              The guy who had it before me owned the bike for less than 4000 miles total, in that time he rode it for a year or two, replaced the chain, had the chain break on him, got done with the hospital visits from that incident and put this chain on it. That was about 3 years ago, but only a couple thousand miles of riding.

Then again, this is the same guy who had it in for $300 worth of carb work done 3 times in 4 years and still complained that 'it would only start on ether'. So I shouldn't be shocked that his new parts are wearing out.

Glancing over the receipts which came with the bike, it looks like he got a DID 630K X 96 in 8/2010 and then a Forward Motorsports FS-630HO-96 in 6/2011. I assume the FS chain is the one on the bike and the DID is the one that broke on him, but that is just an assumption.

And now you can see part of why I had to get the bike away from this kid before he ruined it completely.
              He broke a DID 630 chain? Wow, I've been using the DID 630 on my bike since I've had it until I went to the 530 conversion. Never broke one, just wore them out. Roughly got about 12K on one before it needed replacement.
              sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
              1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
              2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike:dancing: 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

I'm assuming that his backward front sprocket and other such mischief caused the DID chain to rub on the metal backing plate for the chain guard and it wore away the rivets on the chain until the inevitable occurred.

It's the only way I can reconcile his story with the discovered facts.

Comment

Nah, that wouldn't break it. Run it loose so it flies off will break it, or not installing the master link correctly, maybe using the wrong master link. There's not much else.

Judging from your attitude about the PO, I'd guess the master link.
                  http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Come to think of it, the FS chain has a master link on the receipt. The DID receipt does not. Sounds like he re-used the master link from the worn out chain. Could that have done it?

Although none of this changes the fact that the front sprocket was put on backward and may or may not have been a factor in the chain breakage.

Comment

I know someone that put a master link on facing forward instead of backward... clip and plate fell off, and 1/2 of the chain got stuffed into a super-clean 1975 CB750 case.
                      1980 GS1000G - The Beast - GOING... GOING... yup, it's gone. I'm bikeless !!! GAaaahh !!!
                      1978 KZ1000C1 Police - GONE !
                      1983 GPZ750, aka ZX750A1 - restored, fresh paint... Gave it back, it was a loaner !!!
                      Check My Albums for some of the 30+ headaches I've dealt with

I know -JUST- enough to make me REALLY dangerous !

Comment

Yes, the "foam" is stock in the 750's, my 80' has it, it also looks like your front sprocket is missing the lock washer, also check your owners manual for the proper mounting of the front sprocket, some years have the 3 counter sunk screws facing inside towards the engine and some have them facing outwards towards the cover.

Comment

Working...
                        X