Replaced clutch springs, clutch doesn't engage fully

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Replaced clutch springs, clutch doesn't engage fully

So I replaced the 30 year old clutch springs in my 83 750t, with new Suzuki springs, adj it up so I had about an 1/8 of play at the lever, put the in gear running and it seems like the clutch is not engaging fully, so adj it so I had no free play same thing it clunks when you put it in gear and wants to move forward u can tell it not fully engaging. Before I changed the springs I had no clutch drag, I only changed them because, I had bought some a while ago, I had no issues before I changed them, I measured the old ones and the new ones the old ones were slightly out of spec the new ones are right on 1.52 in, not sure why, it's the clutch is dragging when I put in the new springs, I might put back 3 of the old springs in, I have done the springs on many bikes never had this happen. I run rottella oil and was changed when I changed the springs, thanks for any advice

Although I'm not familiar with your particular model I'm sure there is a clutch adjustment setup on the engine, not just at the lever (there has been on every bike I've owned). You say you've done the springs on other bikes before so it sounds like you know what you are doing,i hope I'm not telling you something you already know.
    Not starting your adjustment at the engine could be why your clutch is not fully disengaging. Hopefully my admittedly vague advice is of some help.

Comment

Originally posted by Dj66 View Post
      Meadowlands MN.
      Where is that ?

Originally posted by Boston410 View Post
      So I replaced the 30 year old clutch springs in my 83 750t
      Make sure you got the clutch cable arm back on the splined shaft in the same place. There was just a thread about that.
      82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Originally posted by bonanzadave View Post
        Where is that ?

Make sure you got the clutch cable arm back on the splined shaft in the same place. There was just a thread about that.

Meadowlands MN. is a wide spot on HWY.47 roughly halfway between Duluth and Hibbing MN., very agricultural. The nearest business to my home is Swedetown Tractor,that should tell you something.

Good call on the clutch arm/splined shaft,it's much better for someone familiar with the model to be trying to help.
        Last edited by Guest; 03-22-2014, 07:40 PM.

Comment

I think the lever needs to moved on spline- anytime you pop cover off, it can swing out of right spot. head to this link- my 650 is similar

1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Thanks for help, however I ended up putting old clutch springs back in, after trying everything, adjusting engine adj first, moving the leaver on the spline, and measuring the springs , it still would not go int gear or slip thru them properly, put the old springs in worked great. The only thing I did notice is that the new springs had 7 coils and the old ones had 6 coils. But the height was pretty close. Rod

Comment

Try half and half, old and new.

Comment

Working...
              X