Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where is that "replace valve seals without removing head" thread?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where is that "replace valve seals without removing head" thread?

Hey everyone,

I'm looking for a thread posted last year that described how to replace valve guide seals without removing the head. Anyone point me to it? I've rooted around for a bit with no luck.

A lot easier to just remove the head. The ex seals are a B because of the frame. Your almost there anyway !!

Comment

I second that
      I would just pull the head.
      Not that bad of a job.
      1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
      1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Pull the head & lap the valves while in there. Do it right, do it ONCE!!!
        Ray.

Comment

I did hear once this roadracing guy, kind of friend. He put rope/string in the spark plug hole. Ran the piston up to hold the valve from pushing down. And was able to compress the retainer to get the keepers out. I personally would not go this route. But I suppose it could be done...
          My Motorcycles:
          22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
          22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
          82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
          81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
          79 1000e (all original)
          82 850g (all original)
          80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

let us know how it goes.
            Rob
            1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
            Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

I, for one, would pull the head. However, there are some here on this board that will say that to prevent oil leaks, it is necessary to change the base gasket when the head is removed which means pulling the cylinder block and that is a much bigger job.
              NO PIC THANKS TO FOTO BUCKET FOR BEING RIDICULOUS

Current Rides: 1980 Suzuki GS1000ET, 2009 Yamaha FZ1, 1983 Honda CB1100F, 2006 H-D Fatboy
              Previous Rides: 1972 Yamaha DS7, 1977 Yamaha RD400D, '79 RD400F Daytona Special, '82 RD350LC, 1980 Suzuki GS1000E (sold that one), 1982 Honda CB900F, 1984 Kawasaki GPZ900R

Comment

Thanks

Thanks everyone,

I'm really not sure. I'm no mechanic. Have taken the engine apart once, then bailed on doing the work which supposedly involved a valve job including new valve guide seals. Of course the predictable, put the bike back together and still tonnes of smoke on every startup, just out of one pipe.

I dropped in on the mechanic at one point and he complained about spending two hours trying to do part of the valve disassembly. I'm assuming his first susuki and not used to the recess....

Anyway, a bit embarrassed and frustrated, and want to get her running but not sure I have the time with two little kids to spend the time I need. Everything takes me 10 times as long as many of you because it's all the first time for me.

I'll start the disassembly and keep reading and see.

Thanks,

Comment

Where are you located?

Nic
                  83 GS1100ES rebuild:

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170032

Budget GSXR Conversion:

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=200563

New to me bike: 2008 B-KING

Comment

I'll second Nic's comment. Where are you at? Put your location in your profile and maybe one of us is close enough to assist.
                    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Well that was unexpected

Thanks a lot guys. I'm in downtown Toronto, Canada. Leslieville if anyone's from around here.

In any case I really appreciate even checking.

Comment

Working...
                      X