Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Frusterating fuel/electrical issue...ahhhhh...help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Frusterating fuel/electrical issue...ahhhhh...help!

So my project is all done. I've had it out for a number of rides. It does okay until it gets warm and then it acts like it's too rich. If I stop and let it cool off for about 10 minutes it runs super nice. It feels like it flutters at about 4000 rpm , almost like 1 of the spark plug is unplugged. I did a compression test on the bike and got 135 to 145 across. I checked the mechanical advance for the ignition and it seemed to move freely. The bike sounds just fine with the clutch pulled in or when its in neutral. When I get out on the freeway I can hear it began to flutter and sound like it's running rich. It has a Mikuni carb which came with the turbo kit. I'm checking the pilot jet when I get home. It does have the correct main jet in it now. These things make me think it must be ignition related but I'm not very good at troubleshooting that sort of thing. Any ideas?
    Last edited by turbojonn; 03-25-2014, 11:14 AM.
    1981 GS 1100e turbo, 83 motor, turbo pistons, new head, new turbo, backed and welded clutch basket, Dyna S ignition, cbr 929 front end, gsxr 750 rear end with 190 tire, all carbon fiber covered bodywork.

My first idea is for you to put your bike/model year in your signature (upper left this page "userCP" stuff )

And what's this stuff - "....It has a Mikuni carb which came with the turbo kit " sounds like BIG trouble

So I imagine you'ven cleaned carb(s) (?) properly, check valve clearances, made sure camshafts were timed to crank nicely, etc
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

I perfectly understand the "Mikuni carb on the turbo" bit, but this part really has me scratching my head:
      Originally posted by turbojonn View Post
      It feels like it's letters at about 4000 rpm , ...
      The "Intel" reference was a bit baffling until I realized he is in Seattle, but I still can't figure out what a microprocessor has to do with his bike.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
        I perfectly understand the "Mikuni carb on the turbo" bit, but this part really has me scratching my head:

The "Intel" reference was a bit baffling until I realized he is in Seattle, but I still can't figure out what a microprocessor has to do with his bike.

Intel=until. The rest I don't understand at all

Comment

Oopsl, I was using the speech to text feature on my phone. It might be a good idea for me to check the text before I post the thread, sorry. I'm not as dumb as my thread makes me sound, I swear, lol.
          I haven't checked cam timing. I had assumed it was stock. It's fluttering at 4000 rpm. The carb is a single Mikuni hs-44 from Mr.Turbo.
          1981 GS 1100e turbo, 83 motor, turbo pistons, new head, new turbo, backed and welded clutch basket, Dyna S ignition, cbr 929 front end, gsxr 750 rear end with 190 tire, all carbon fiber covered bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by turbojonn View Post
            Oopsl, I was using the speech to text feature on my phone. It might be a good idea for me to check the text before I post the thread, sorry. I'm not as dumb as my thread makes me sound, I swear, lol.
            I haven't checked cam timing. I had assumed it was stock. It's fluttering at 4000 rpm. The carb is a single Mikuni hs-44 from Mr.Turbo.
            Like Tom said, we would sure like to know what you have

Comment

It's an 81 gs 1100e. All stock internals and electrics. Sorry.

Comment

john,
                have you talked to terry at mr. turbo?
                the draw through stuff is a different animal from my experience.
                the S&S stuff i have used would idle and run wide open perfect but at partial throttle it would go rich/black smoke like a diesel.
                the RS mik is leaps and bounds above the S&S as far as street use is concerned.
                terry is your answer but know your main/pilot/needle ect.. before you call him.
                heat shields??
                lol i had to do that

Comment

Working...
                X