Can someone check my timing.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can someone check my timing.

As its stated was asking if someone can double check my timing on my 82 gs650 build I am about to button up the top end just wanna double check it.

First is the ignition plate lined up the two marks.

Then setting the crank on the T Mark I set it right in the middle of the T. Sorry its a little rusty but that is the T.

Next up is the arrow on the exhaust cam gear it is flush with the head.

Last is the intake came set the marks 20 pins apart.

The pointer should be on the line just to the left of the T, not centered on it.

Other than that, as long as that is the 1-4 mark, not the 2-3 mark, it looks good.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
      The pointer should be on the line just to the left of the T, not centered on it.

Other than that, as long as that is the 1-4 mark, not the 2-3 mark, it looks good.

Ok so I moved the crank slightly to left do I need to adjust the cams the marks still look like they line up on the cams.

Comment

Bring the crankshaft around clockwise ( forward ) two turns and come up on the 1-4 T mark. This puts the slack in the chain in the right place. Turning it backwards puts the slack in the wrong place. I think you have them right, but this will make sure.
        http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
          Bring the crankshaft around clockwise ( forward ) two turns and come up on the 1-4 T mark. This puts the slack in the chain in the right place. Turning it backwards puts the slack in the wrong place. I think you have them right, but this will make sure.

Ok did that and the mark is dead on flush with the top of the head I'm pretty sure its right. Thanks a ton guys really appreciate it.

Comment

Make sure you oil up the camshaft, especially where the locking caps bolt on at.(4 of them that hold the cams down.)

Comment

Working...
            X