Shift shaft seal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shift shaft seal

What is the easiest way to replace the seal around the shift shaft. Does the shaft need to be removed? Or can I stab through the seal with an awl and pull seal out without removing shaft?

You can pull the shaft out the other side of the motor by (i) removing the clutch cover, and (ii) removing the clutch. Then you can easily prise out the old seal using a screw driver, and pop the new one in using a socket as a drift. Then wrap the spline of the shift shaft with plastic tape, so that it won't damage the new seal when you slide it back into place.
    You *might* be able to remove the old seal with the shaft in place, but it could be difficult and you might also score the shaft, which would give you more problems than you need.

Comment

I pulled the shaft and I'm glad I did because I think the seal was okay. The leak seams to be caused by a build up on the shaft right where the seal sits. If I would have just pulled out the seal without removing the shaft first, I would not have discovered this build up. I used 800 grit sand paper and gently removed the build up before installing the new seal.

Comment

Build-up on the shaft inside the seal sounds a little strange... but the main thing is that you now have a clean shaft and a new seal.

Comment

Hi All,

I didn't want to start a whole new thread based on a simple question so found something vaguely related (mostly because I also replaced the shift shaft seal). The big seal for the main drive...which is the correct part number for this seal on a 1977GS550:

Shop our large selection of Suzuki OEM parts, original equipment manufacturer parts and more online or call at 386-740-2452

#34 or #36 ... or both?

Was able to easily remove the pushrod seal by drilling a small hole and pulling it out with a screw. Can I do the same thing for this one?
          1980/1981 GS450 - GS500 Cylinder + Piston Swap - "De-L'ed", custom seat, CB350 bits, 18" rear, etc.
          1977 GS550
          1977 GS750 - Cross country trip thread

Comment

If you ebay search those part numbers you can see what each looks like. Both are oil seals...
            Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Use a piece of properly sized PVC to reinsert new seals. Wipe a bit of oil on them and tap in square to the cases.

EDIT...be sure to clean all shafts the new seal will slide over. Even go as far as sanding them so as to not tear or damage the new seals.
              Last edited by chuck hahn; 04-16-2018, 11:36 AM.
              MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
              1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Thanks guys - if I can see small amounts of weepage at the bottom of the seal from the outside, in your experience do both of those (#34 and #36) need to be replaced or just the outer one? OR, is #36 inside the engine case?

Last question was more about removal of the seal but I know that technique (drill + screw) might be hairy for some seals.

Last edited by sam000lee; 04-17-2018, 01:52 PM.
                1980/1981 GS450 - GS500 Cylinder + Piston Swap - "De-L'ed", custom seat, CB350 bits, 18" rear, etc.
                1977 GS550
                1977 GS750 - Cross country trip thread

Comment

Working...
                X