GS1100GL stumbles during cruising

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS1100GL stumbles during cruising

I cleaned my carbs earlier and thought every thing was running right. I took my 1982 GS1100GL out for a spin and noticed at cruising speeds 55+ the bike starts to stumble and run rough until I slow it down. It runs real well when I start and at slow speeds, even when doing full throtle runs. But when cruising at 55+ it acts up. Any thoughts on what would cause that?

More clues needed ! stock airbox setup? stock exhaust? carb cleaning method?
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

It has the stock airbox with k&n air filter and 4-1 exhuast. It was starting hard last fall so I bought the o-ring kit and did the carb tear apart, dip and spray clean replacing all the o-rings. I also put a new battery in. Oil is changed and full. New o-rings for intake boots. I set the idle and it starts and idles great. Riding around town, it runs great. When I start going down the highway at about 55-70, it will start stumbline and running rough after it gets warm. If I slow down to about 25 then keep going less than 55 it runs fine.

Comment

Sounds like you've done good; so this problem developed after carb cleaning fun? Did you note main jet size during teardown? It seems lean in this partial load range.
        1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Yes, this developed after the carb rebuild. It ran fine before other than hard starting. I took down some info, but not all. #3 carb mainjet is 120 and #3 carb pilot jet is 170. When it starts to stumble, it does it even if I start accelerating more.

Comment

When it starts stumbling, add some "choke" to see if it clears up.

Your main jet is only two sizes larger than stock, you might need more than that for your header and K&N insert.

Another possibility is that the float levels are a bit low, making the bike run lean.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Thanks. Floats are all set at 7/8" and I didn't think to try the choke when it was stumbling. I'm going to run out and try that now.

Comment

Originally posted by GS1100GLMLA View Post
                Thanks. Floats are all set at 7/8" and I didn't think to try the choke when it was stumbling. I'm going to run out and try that now.
                Did you measure to the bottom of the step?

sigpic
                mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I just did a ride and the choke does help it to stop or quiet down the stumble. I actually didn't change the floats because they measured according to the instructions.

Comment

Since the choke helps quiet down the stumbling, does that imply dirty carburetor, or floats?

Comment

Hi,
                      Thought I would share an issue that I had with my "new to me" 1150 last year, it would surge when cruising, and not idle too well, I was pointed to the petcock, a holed diaphragm was letting fuel leak into the intake of #2 cyl, a rebuild kit fixed it. Think you could check easily for $0 by pulling the vac hose from the petcock, plug it and run her on prime.
                      Good luck

Comment

Originally posted by GS1100GLMLA View Post
                        Since the choke helps quiet down the stumbling, does that imply dirty carburetor, or floats?
                        So you're running a bit lean it sounds... if stock needles, I'd raise them a notch (.040") to help smooth the mid -range transition.

What do your plugs look like?
                        '85 GS550L - SOLD
                        '85 GS550E - SOLD
                        '82 GS650GL - SOLD
                        '81 GS750L - SOLD
                        '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
                        '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
                        '82 GS1100G - SOLD
                        '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

+1 on floats heights....sounds like fuel starvation due to the floats.... and makes more sense if you did any adjustents while cleaning them + you say shes now running lean

Comment

Does your petcock have a "prime" position? Try running it in that position.

EDIT: I was looking at another topic, make sure your tank is properly vented.
                            Last edited by Thumper88; 04-15-2014, 07:50 AM.
                            1982 Suzuki GS450TZ
                            1982 Suzuki GS1100EZ

Comment

Originally posted by hikermikem View Post
                              So you're running a bit lean it sounds... if stock needles, I'd raise them a notch (.040") to help smooth the mid -range transition.

What do your plugs look like?
                              My plugs are carbon black on the shell face and dark tan on core nose. I'm running Champion N3C's.

Comment

Working...
                              X