What I found under the clutch cover

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What I found under the clutch cover

So just got help getting a stripped bolt head dealt with so I could remove the clutch cover. Noticed a lot of rattle at low rpms so need to have a look see.

Here's a video of how loose that central shaft is.

Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!

So the centre nut wiggled noticeably by hand

Springs in back rattle a bit if I shake the drum but seem to fit fairly snug... How big an issue is this?

Finally the manual talks about indentations on the clutch centre and drum caused by the plates chattering. Not sure if the attached picture is what they mean. These surfaces are noticeably bumpy. Big problem?

Thanks

Comment

Hi thanks re the ridges... so just file with a metal file? Any tips on the tool?

I'm attaching another pic of the area I think you were referring to. Cleaned it up a bit. I placed the part over the center axle and feel no play at all. Seems snug. So let me know if this is what you mean.

What's your feeling on the springs? How much rattle is too much rattle when I shake the hub? As I say they seem pretty snug in there but really don't know what loose looks like.

Finally I know it's on the site somewhere but if you know what nut I should be ordering that would be great.

Comment

Originally posted by RobertGS1000 View Post
        So just got help getting a stripped bolt head dealt with so I could remove the clutch cover. Noticed a lot of rattle at low rpms so need to have a look see.

Here's a video of how loose that central shaft is.

http://s1281.photobucket.com/user/Ro...aac5c.mp4.html

Rack release, it's suppose to do that.
        sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
        1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
        2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike:dancing: 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Good that's a relief. Going to do some filing of the "ridges" next.

Comment

Just take a smooth file and clean up the basket a bit. Other than that I am not seeing anything alarming. The release bearing as was already stated just flops around like that. If you have an air impact, give the nut a few good blasts and then fold the retainer washer over in TWO spots as a backup lock.
            MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
            1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

You'll need a new clutch hub nut, dress the ridges carefully and you can either shim the back springs (there's a tutorial on that) or get a new backing plate

lots of folks like the nut from APE
              1978 GS 1000 (since new)
              1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
              1978 GS 1000 (parts)
              1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
              1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
              1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
              2007 DRz 400S
              1999 ATK 490ES
              1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Thanks for the advice all, it was very helpful. One more thing hopefully sorted. I'll be curious to see how much of the rattling calms down.

Comment

Working...
                X