1978 GS750 cylinder install

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1978 GS750 cylinder install

Guys, do any of you have any "tricks" to install the cylinders onto the pistons, or do i need to purchase ring compressors?

make up some wooden pieces, just as it's described in the manual. Do the inner two first, you can simply squeeze the rings in by hand, one at a time. The cylinder will slide down the piston as you compress the ring in. You can do one piston at a time, the head will be at an ever so slight of an angle but it will easily move down, then you can do the other, back and forth till you get both 2&3 into the cylinders then move the whole head slowly down to the top of 1&2 and slowly go at the rings again, one at a time. Pretty easy, you really don't need a ring compressor. Just remember to go slowly and don't force anything.
    Rob
    1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
    Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Use large hose clamps. Make sure all the edges touching the pistons are very smooth as to not scratch anything. You can also get some thin plastic to put between hose clamp and piston to ensure you don't scratch anything.

Comment

thanks guys.

Comment

PVC pipe with a slice out so it squeezes into itself and some big hose clamps work well too.
          MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
          1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Just did a full rebuild on my 81 and did it pretty much as azr described, be sure rings are on the right way and your ring gap is in the right place. Two people make it easier too.

Comment

Working...
            X