Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by scottyknows50 View Post
    Nevermind, found one.

BTW- there is no slack in the clutch cable- as soon as I am pulling the lever the little arm down below is moving.

Thanks guys.
    I hope that gasket you bought is an actual OEM and not a OEM look alike. I bought one and it WOULD NOT SEAL, thickness was wrong. Bought the OEM and no problems since. Yeah, you got to have that specified slack in the cable for the clutch to totally release, if not, there is constant release pressure on the clutch and that will cause slipping and other nasties.
    Last edited by mrbill5491; 04-26-2014, 10:45 AM.
    sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
    1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
    2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike:dancing: 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Previous owner replaced the clutch cable before me- guess I should have checked that out.

Comment

Well, tried adjusting the cable to get a bit of slack and I don't know what I messed up now. There is a bit of slack in the cable now but now my clutch is MUCH easier to pull than before and won't engage all the way. If I put the bike in 1st and pull on the clutch lever I can't roll the bike. I assume it's the clutch springs that give the pressure you feel on the cable? I have new ones coming but I'm not sure why I can't pull my clutch in all the way now.

Comment

You won't be able to roll the bike with the engine not running, bike in first gear, clutch pulled in. Not gonna happen, even if it is functioning properly. Unless you are really, really determined. And strong. And headed downhill.

Comment

Well, it stays engaged no matter what now.

I tried what I believe tkent? said in another post- try to ride the bike in first with the clutch lever pulled in giving it some throttle trying to loosen the clutch plates. Rode it around the farm as much as I dared but it didn't seem to do any good.

Comment

You may have to much play in the cable now. there should be about 1/4 Inch of play I believe.

Comment

The lever at the bottom is much looser now (somehow???). Before I was messing with stuff it would barely move by hand. Now it moves pretty freely.

Comment

My youtube video of me playing with the clutch....and mumbling. Basically I was showing the amount of slack on the clutch lever on the bars and then how easy it was for me to move the lever. Should be more resistance. Plates sticking together? Springs just shot?
                  I'm at a loss right now.

Thanks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63T46iQ2g64

Comment

You now have about twice the play you should have. Reduce it by half and retest.

Comment

Originally posted by koolaid_kid View Post
                      You now have about twice the play you should have. Reduce it by half and retest.
                      I think you're right- I tightened it up a bit and it seems much better. Hope to test it out tomorrow during the daylight. And hopefully without this wind. Living in the country makes any side wind really annoying.

Thanks for all the input!

Comment

Originally posted by koolaid_kid View Post
                        You won't be able to roll the bike with the engine not running, bike in first gear, clutch pulled in. Not gonna happen, even if it is functioning properly. Unless you are really, really determined. And strong. And headed downhill.
                        Why is that, if you don't mind me asking? I know in my manual transmission car, this would work.

Comment

Originally posted by srg View Post
                          Why is that, if you don't mind me asking? I know in my manual transmission car, this would work.
                          Difference is the car has two components to grab and the bike has nine steels and nine fibers. Difficult to budge especially with cold oil.
                          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                          1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
                            Difference is the car has two components to grab and the bike has nine steels and nine fibers. Difficult to budge especially with cold oil.
                            So the plates are still "stuck together" even if the spring tension is released (by holding the clutch in)? Thanks for the explanation!

Comment

Originally posted by srg View Post
                              So the plates are still "stuck together" even if the spring tension is released (by holding the clutch in)? Thanks for the explanation!
                              after market parts and or a poorly routed and or bad/cheap cable will give the same results.(bad)
                              worn perk/clutch lever(bad)
                              notched basket/inner hub (bad)
                              big fat grips(bad)
                              an adjustment for one person may not give the same results for another.
                              hand size/finger length ect..

Comment

Working...
                              X