Oil leak from valvecover

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oil leak from valvecover

I have adjusted the valves and put a new gasket on, but I get a leak (se attachment).
    This is the second time this happens. Might it be that put too much torque on the bolts? In the manual there is no info on valvecover and torque.

What gasket did you use? OEM? Did you replace the "D" end plugs? Did you use any type of gasket sealant or grease anywhere?

The Clymer manual for my bike says to torque the cylinder head cover bolts to 0.7-1.1 mkg (or 5.1-7.9 ft-lb).

Comment

OEM.. Tried Athena once :-(

Endplugs changed, but no selant or grease

Comment

When tightening cam cover bolts, I start from inside (along chain tunnel) and work my way to outer bolts evenly. If you can't borrow a baby torque wrench to do this low a ft-lbs, do what I did, rig up something like in attached pic. In my case, my "lever" was 1/2 ft long so I needed to apply about 15 lbs to get the desired amount. I did it in two stages.

1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
          When tightening cam cover bolts, I start from inside (along chain tunnel) and work my way to outer bolts evenly. If you can't borrow a baby torque wrench to do this low a ft-lbs, do what I did, rig up something like in attached pic. In my case, my "lever" was 1/2 ft long so I needed to apply about 15 lbs to get the desired amount. I did it in two stages.

Wow, now that's a first! Home made torque wrench.

As for the leak, the gasket surface needs to be spotless. Not one small spec of old gasket allowable on either the head or valve cover. The half moon pieces need to be sealed on the curved edge where they fit in the head. Threebond 1194 is good stuff for this application. Oh and yes, on carefully tightening and/or torquing the screws.
          Last edited by Nessism; 04-27-2014, 03:33 PM.
          Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
            Wow, now that's a first! Home made torque wrench.

As for the leak, the gasket surface needs to be spotless. Not one small spec of old gasket allowable on either the head or valve cover. The half moon pieces need to be sealed on the curved edge where they fit in the head. Threebond 1194 is good stuff for this application. Oh and yes, on carefully tightening and/or torquing the screws.
            I second the spotless point. Just swapped mine out with a new gasket from Z-1 enterprises. I believe the old one was original. The engine side came off clean, but there was a LOT of leftover gasket stuck to the valve cover. I had to use several different methods to get it off, and then hot water/soap scrubbed the thing, followed by drying with fan, followed by compressed air to remove any particulate.

Also, I've heard differing opinions about pre-lubricating the gasket. I rubbed both sides of mine with fresh motor oil before installing. No excess - just a film.

Knock on wood - no leaks so far!

Comment

Yes, they should be torqued in a pattern (should be in the manual) and in stages.
              You would be best served by getting a 1/4" torque wrench, which measures inch pounds. Around 75 inch pounds should work just dandy.

Comment

I tried to tighten it to 15ft lbs, but then the threads were destroyed :-( I got to about 10ft lbs then suddenly there were no resistance.
                Last edited by Guest; 04-28-2014, 01:54 PM.

Comment

10 ft/lb x 12 = 120 in/lb
                  Since the spec was around 75 in/lb, I bet they were destroyed.

Comment

Originally posted by phrode View Post
                    I tried to tighten it to 15ft lbs, but then the threads were destroyed :-( I got to about 10ft lbs then suddenly there were no resistance.
                    STOOOOPPPP!!!! 15 ft lbs is way too much. Were talking inch pounds here. Before you strip out any more you may want to consider getting an in/lbs torque wrench. As for the one that is just spinning, you'll need to Heli-Coil that one. I just hope you didn't do it to all of them.
                    Last edited by JTGS850GL; 04-28-2014, 03:46 PM.
                    http://img633.imageshack.us/img633/811/douMvs.jpg
                    1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
                    1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
                    1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.;)

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Originally posted by koolaid_kid View Post
                      Yes, they should be torqued in a pattern (should be in the manual) and in stages.
                      You would be best served by getting a 1/4" torque wrench, which measures inch pounds. Around 75 inch pounds should work just dandy.
                      Originally posted by koolaid_kid View Post
                      10 ft/lb x 12 = 120 in/lb
                      Since the spec was around 75 in/lb, I bet they were destroyed.
                      Originally posted by JTGS850GL View Post
                      STOOOOPPPP!!!! 15 ft lbs is way too much. Were talking inch pounds here. Before you strip out any more you may want to consider getting an in/lbs torque wrench. As for the one that is just spinning, you'll need to Heli-Coil that one. I just hope you didn't do it to all of them.
                      Hopefully you only destroyed one.

Comment

That's the problem with a torque wrench, folk get confused or just read em wrong, or worse still use the Haynes manual for torque setting guides and find there totally wrong with dyer concsequences usually, for the normal day to day I don't use mine much, think I only used it once on the XJR I tend to use the hand tight, wrist tight, arm tight method, never stripped any threads this way.

As for the cam cover gasket I reused the half moons as they looked and felt in good nick, a smear of grease on both metal faces, and a thin run of gasket sealer over the tops of the half noons, just nipped it all up in a criss cross pattern, been good as gold.
                        Last edited by Guest; 04-29-2014, 02:51 AM.

Comment

Not exactly. Sometimes, but in this case it was using the wrong torque wrench.

Comment

Only one got destroyed. Lucky for me, it goes all the way throug. So I just put in a longer bolt and used a nut to secure it and tighten it.

Live and learn :-)

Comment

Originally posted by phrode View Post
                              The original Haynes manual has the wrong torque setting, due to a mis-print. I recall it mentions 17ft-lbs for the camcover bolts, and I shudder to think how many people have wrecked their threads because of that, and how many of those old manuals are still around.
                              ---- Dave

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Working...
                              X