Oil pressure light

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oil pressure light

I got my bike running today, and it runs great. My issue now is after it warms up the oil pressure light will come on at 1200 RPM's or less. If I bump the idle up to 1500 it will go out.
    As soon as the bike starts it goes out, and it has good oil pressure. I found that out the hard way when I first fired her up I forgot to tighten the valve cover down, and she puked oil all over the ground in just a few seconds.
    I checked the oil and topped it off, and there is no engine noise at all.
    Could it be the relief valve or the switch itself? It had set for a number of years.
    I did change the oil and filter before I fired her up too.

Does your setup look like this?

If so, easy to remove switch and clean it. Your screen might be gummed up from sitting and not allowing enough flow at low rpms. From what I understand the pressure regulator is after oil switch.
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

I'm going to go get a pressure gauge and hook up to make sure I have good oil pressure before I do too much to it.
      She does get plenty of oil up top, but I don't want to hurt the bottom end.
      I will drop the pan and clean the oil screen, and make sure there isn't gunk in the bottom of the case.

Comment

If the oil light comes on only after you turn off the motor, is that okay?

Comment

Originally posted by Sandro_916 View Post
          If the oil light comes on only after you turn off the motor, is that okay?
          Well, sure, if engine ain't running, oil ain't pumping! I hope light goes out when you turn off ignition.
          1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

If the oil light comes ON only after you turn off the motor, is that okay?
            I assume you mean after you turn the engine off, but the ignition switch is still on? If that is the case, then yes the light should be on until you turn the ignition switch off.

Comment

Originally posted by zuzu View Post
              I assume you mean after you turn the engine off, but the ignition switch is still on? If that is the case, then yes the light should be on until you turn the ignition switch off.
              Yup, that's exactly what I meant. Glad to know that's okay.

Comment

Working...
              X