GS550 oil leak around exhaust header

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS550 oil leak around exhaust header

So I'm trying to find the actual cause of the constant oil leak on my bike, it's starting to stain my pants when I'm riding.

I noticed the the area with the most amount of oil is in the front of the engine, right under the exhaust header. It is completely dry on the top of the exhaust header and up (so we could rule out valve cover leak?).

Any ideas before I assume it's a head gasket leak?

Side question: Do we look at the oil level when the bike is on the center stand?

Thanks!

Yes, you should look at the oil level when the bike is on the center stand. Check the Suzuki manual for the correct procedure (you can find one at Basscliff's site - http://members.dslextreme.com/users/bikecliff)

Clean up the area real good first then put some sort of dry powder on it (athlete's foot spray works great) to determine where the leak is coming from. Then work from there
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Maybe the oil filter cover. It can be difficult to keep the o-ring/gasket seated in the groove when installing and if it does move its hard to tell until its puking oil from there.

Comment

I'm going to do the foot powder technique, but I'm not sure what's the best way of de-greasing the motor.

-Is there anything I should be careful about when rinsing off the degreaser with water?

-Could it be the oil filter cover if most of the oil is accumulated at the exhaust header?

-Also, if the oil level window is all brown/black on the center stand can that mean the window is dirty or there is too much oil?

Thanks for the replies.

Comment

You can just get some engine degreaser from walmart or any auto parts store. Spray it on and let it sit for a while then rinse it off with a garden hose. You may need to scrub some with a toothbrush or wire brush to get most of the junk off. You won't hurt anything with the water just try not to get it in the air intake. If it's right below the header flanges its probably the head gasket. But still it would be better to clean and check for sure.

If the sight glass is dark all the way to the top that means your oil level is too full. Drain some off and check again.

Comment

You would want to verify your oil level like JBT says then, if needed, pull that cover off and clean the sight glass (will need a new gasket for the cover)
            Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
            1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
            2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
            Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
            and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by Sandro_916 View Post
              I'm going to do the foot powder technique, but I'm not sure what's the best way of de-greasing the motor.

-Is there anything I should be careful about when rinsing off the degreaser with water?

Thanks for the replies.
              Remove the side covers/fuel tank and try not to get any on any painted surfaces. (the frame is usually safe) Several brands of degreaser destroys paint.

Comment

Oil Leak

So I'm trying to find the actual cause of the constant oil leak on my bike, it's starting to stain my pants when I'm riding.

I noticed the the area with the most amount of oil is in the front of the engine, right under the exhaust header. It is completely dry on the top of the exhaust header and up (so we could rule out valve cover leak?).

Any ideas before I assume it's a head gasket leak?

Side question: Do we look at the oil level when the bike is on the center stand?

Thanks!
                Oh My...an oil leak.

I was able to locate mine and went through some different scenarios to discover it was a loose crankcase bolt. I needed to replace the oil pan gasket anyway but my leak was landing on my left boot.

So when you say the leak is getting on your pants, I'm guessing the lower part of the trousers...ankle, shin or knee area?

I used an engine cleaner from WalMart and spent alot of time with q-tips, rags, and a wire brush to wipe off existing residue with isopropyl alcohol. Apart from seeping oil from the head gasket (minimal seep is ok), you should be able to locate your leak once you clean off the current gunk on your engine.

Good luck!

Ed
                GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
                GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
                GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
                Originally posted by GSXR7ED
                Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

So when you say the leak is getting on your pants, I'm guessing the lower part of the trousers...ankle, shin or knee area?
                  It's just a little amount around the shin area. Good thing I was wearing black pants at the time

You would want to verify your oil level like JBT says then, if needed, pull that cover off and clean the sight glass (will need a new gasket for the cover)
                  So i found the glass isn't dirty after looking at it go clear with the engine running.

How should I go about gradually removing oil?

If I discover it is indeed the head gasket, should I try re-torquing the head bolts?

Comment

Could be leaking from area where tach cable goes into engine. There is a how to rebuild on here. Very easy. terrylee

Comment

Originally posted by terrylee View Post
                      Could be leaking from area where tach cable goes into engine. There is a how to rebuild on here. Very easy. terrylee
                      Just checked the tach cable and it's dry.

Most likely a head gasket leak. Before I rebuild, I'm going to try to just re-torque the head because I have having difficulty finding a head gasket for this motor. The dealership wants like $150 for a head gasket

What's the best (and cheapest) place to purchase a valve cover gasket, or can I make my own? I think the PO made his own paper gasket and its holding up well.

Comment

PartsOutLaw

Just checked the tach cable and it's dry.

Most likely a head gasket leak. Before I rebuild, I'm going to try to just re-torque the head because I have having difficulty finding a head gasket for this motor. The dealership wants like $150 for a head gasket

What's the best (and cheapest) place to purchase a valve cover gasket, or can I make my own? I think the PO made his own paper gasket and its holding up well.
                        I get my parts from partsoutlaw.com. Here is your gasket: item #7 for $98.12. Call Kelsey and ask for a promotional code to lower your shipping cost.

Ed
                        GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
                        GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
                        GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
                        Originally posted by GSXR7ED
                        Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

I had the same problem. In my case it WAS the valve cover gasket. If you look, there are weep holes between the header pipes that let water (oil) in the spark plug areas out. My valve cover was leaking around the cam chain area, going down around the #3 spark plug, and draining out the hole. Ended up on my right boot.

Dump some water around the spark plugs and see where it comes out. My guess is right where the leaked oil starts
                          sigpic
                          09 Kaw C14 Rocket powered Barcalounger
                          1983 GS1100e
                          82\83 1100e Frankenbike
                          1980 GS1260
                          Previous 65 Suzuki 80 Scrambler, 76 KZ900, 02 GSF1200S, 81 GS1100e, 80 GS850G

Comment

Working...
                          X