valve cover gasket ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

valve cover gasket ??

Have heard a few differnt methods when installing a new valve cover gasket ...
    Spray gasket with wd-40 ?
    Apply small amount of gasket sealant ???
    Or nothing put gasket in dry with just a little gasket silicone around half moons ?
    Which is best ?

In my manual it sais to apply a thin film of suzuki bond #1215 or equivalent to both sides of a new cam cover gasket ...
    So which is it ? Some gasket silicone or none ?

Comment

no sealant to the gasket. You can put some on the under the half moons as they can tend to leak sometimes. You can spray the gasket with wd-40 in an attempt to have it come off the bike easier the never valve adjustment, it might even come off in one piece and be reused. Some people also use a form of grease, I think, don't quote me on that.
      Rob
      1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
      Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

I've done a "Valve Adjustment" and "Oil Pan Replacement" and did not apply any products to either gasket and I have "Zero" leaks.

A surgical razor or equivalent tool and some patience and you'll get the remnants off any replaced gasket.

Ed
        GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
        GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
        GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)

Comment

I use grease, or anti-sieze compound, and I can always use a gasket eight or ten times before they break, stick, or leak. Can do a lot more valve adjustments without breaking out the razor blade to scrape it off and when it does finally need to be replaced, it all comes off very easily.

Yeah, a dab of Yamabond, Suzuki bond, or three bond under the half moons if they leaked last time, but not where it wil stick to the paper gasket.

Seems like a no brainer to me. I would never use RTV or any silicone sealer anywhere like a Suzuki valve cover or anywhere on any engine that could possibly get it into the oil gallery. When a little string of RTV squeezes out inside the gasket it will never dissolve, when it finds it's way to the oil pump it will go through, either in one piece or several. This string will certainly be pumped around in there until it enters the first small oil passage it comes to, which it will block completely, and which will always be the one which lubricates the most expensive part of the engine.

edit, I tried using WD-Douche last time, it popped off fine a week later but I haven't had it on there a year cooking and then had it come off, so I don't really now.
          Last edited by tkent02; 04-30-2014, 02:06 AM.
          http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Thanks, I'm going to try the grease next time!
            Rob
            1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
            Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

What just a thin layer to each side of the gasket using some heavy duty wheel bearing grease ?
              Spent all of last night approx 5 hrs carefully scraping and removing the old gasket , using gasket remover .. unfortunately for me the gasket stuck to the engine side and didnt come off with the cover ... and there was silicone all over it !!
              Just checked the gasket and one hole in the gasket isnt where its sapose to be !!!
              Every there hole lines up perfect ... wtf

Comment

If this is the gs650, there are two cam cover gaskets available depending on engine # ; later models had extra bolt hole for extra cover bolt.
                1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

New gasket .... wtf no its not oem that was going to take 3 weeks to get here ..
                  Do you think if I carefully trim where the one bolt goes through off the edge of the gasket it will hold until the new gasket comes in ?

Comment

Damn you know your stuff Tom !! Lol im guessing this is exactly the case ...
                    New gasket doesnt have ahole where one ofthebolts go through , mind you gasket material isnt covering hole , the hole I am concerned about is the one where idhave to trim a little gasket material !! Ordering oem today , so my question is do you think this gasket will hold for3 weeks ??

Comment

Since all the other holes line up, I'd use gasket as is- and skip that cover bolt for now. if you grease it, should come off with no damage when you get correct gasket.
                      Beware tach drive when you put cover back on- make sure gears mesh nicely before bolting down.

Edit; mine has no extra bolt and no sign of leakage
                      1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

If you take a quick look at the pic Tom one hole in the gasket isnt where it should be ...thats the area im concerned about ...????

Comment

Skip that cover bolt ? Realy ? Not just trim a smidge off the gasket so the bolt can be put in ?

Comment

Grease it, trim it, ride it. You have the right one coming... It looks like you have 2 to trim. One by the cam chain and the other... Then again it could be my eyes...
                            Curt
                            sigpic'85 GS1150 1428 14-1 200+hp Hang On

Comment

Originally posted by lrgguy View Post
                              Skip that cover bolt ? Realy ? Not just trim a smidge off the gasket so the bolt can be put in ?
                              I think either way is 50/50 no leak- I can't imagine why suzuki did this nonsense half way thru model year.
                              1981 gs650L

Comment

Working...
                              X