No announcement yet.

valve cover gasket ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I brush on a very thin layer of light grease on the engine side metal surface, position the gasket on the engine, then brush a very thin layer of grease on the exposed gasket surface.

Works great, you can take the cover off in one piece numerous times for valve adjustments & the like.

Under the half moons, I clean the metal very well & make sure there's no gouges or rasied metal, lightly clean up the metal with 800 grit paper, then apply a thin layer of black Permatex gasket goop to the metal only. Push in the half-moons & you're good to go.

Also, lots of members here put the half-moons in backwards, so the lip is on the inside of the cam cavity - keeps them from popping out, as well as minimizing any cam end float.

BTW - don't know if you are re-using the old half-moons or getting new ones. Z1 Enterprises sells a set of aftermarket half-moons that work quite nicely for a lot less than OEM ones. I've used several sets & have never had an issue.

http://www.z1enterprises.com/ItemDet...item=MAVAP3001
    '85 GS550L - SOLD
    '85 GS550E - SOLD
    '82 GS650GL - SOLD
    '81 GS750L - SOLD
    '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
    '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
    '82 GS1100G - SOLD
    '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

I agree with you Tom . As for the shop that sold me the gasket , he wont take the gasket back , cuzz it was removed from the ziplock bag it was in !! Dick ... and hes the one who ordered it for me !!

Comment

Yeah the old half moons look to be in fine shape .so I eill re use them !! Dont want to rebuild the bike , just want to keep it running while I get my 78 gs 1000 running good ... plan on selling this bike soon !!

Comment

Thanks all for your tips tricks and support !! Leaving work now , heading home to get this bike put pack together ....

Comment

Originally posted by lrgguy View Post
            I agree with you Tom . As for the shop that sold me the gasket , he wont take the gasket back , cuzz it was removed from the ziplock bag it was in !! Dick ... and hes the one who ordered it for me !!
            Which shop? We can all avoid buying anything from him.
            http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Honda ready power sport out here in mississauga ontario .. damn I have purchased well over $1200 bucks worth of parts from there in the last 2 months !!!

Comment

He looked it up and sold you the wrong part and he won't take it back?

Is that even legal in Canada?
                http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Yup !! I went in with the oem # for the valve cover gasket , he told me it would take 2 -3 weeks to get it in , then told me he could have some other make nock off gasket available for the next day ....
                  They guys at TO cycle salvage are awsome !! Was there tonite and the owner stayed late cuzz I was stuck in traffic . Then gave me 2 new half moons for the vale cover and 4 new o rings for my idle mixture screws for a 6 pack beer . Then sold me a oem valve cover gasket for my 78gs1000 for $38.00

Comment

Working...
                  X