Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GS1000E crank and top end into GS850G cases?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS1000E crank and top end into GS850G cases?

Hey guys, this is my first post here. I'm an experienced classic Japanese motorcycle mechanic but I'm new the the venerable GS. Here's my situation;
    I have a '79 GS1000E that's in excellent condition and seems to be a very low-mileage bike (the speedo is gone so I don't know the mileage). However, I don't have a title for it as it was a barn rescue. I just picked up a '79 GS850G (shaft drive) with a locked up motor but a clean title. The frames and bottom ends of the motors are clearly different, but I'm thinking that it might be possible to use the crank and complete top end from the 1000 in the 850G cases. Does anyone know if this will work? I've read that the entire GS range had a lot of parts interchangeability.
    If the crank and top end swap won't work for some reason, would the 1000 top end go onto the 850 cases using the 850 crank?
    It would be great if I can make one good, titled motorcycle out of the two bikes. I'd actually prefer the shaft drive, too, since I'd like to pull a sidecar with the thing. Thanks in advance for any insight.

i think no both ways.
    a shaft crank has the primary gear on a different throw than a chain drive model crank.
    Dr.Dar should know more when he see's this thread.

Comment

Primary gear and the bearing next to it swap places on the shaft drives.

Comment

Working...
      X