Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starter Gears Stuck?

Hi,
    I recently bought a 1981 GS850G that was stored indoors for 8 years.
    Bike wasn't starting when I got it.

Starter motor is newly re-done and works. Battery is new and fully
    charged. When I bridge the starter relay with a screwdriver, the
    starter motor only clicks (not the relay that clicks) & absolutely
    nothing else happens. It's like the starter motor wants to turn, but
    the gear it connects to is stuck.
    (fyi: engine itself is not stuck, kill switch is on run, side stand is up,
    clutch is pulled/engaged, bike is in neutral)

1. Could the starter gears (or starter clutch or whatever it is) be
    stuck, from the bike standing for so long?

2. What is the easiest (preferably non-technical, if possible) way to
    unstuck starter gears (or whatever is prohibiting starter motor from
    turning)?

My starter button does not work (does not make starter motor click),
    but when my backwheel is elevated higher than the front wheel and the
    bike is leaned a bit to the left side, the starter button works, and
    makes the starter motor click (so the relay starter is 100% & not an
    issue).

3. How do I fix this phenomenon (UFO )?

Greetings & thanks
    Pierre Joubert
    Last edited by Guest; 05-01-2014, 03:34 AM.

As to 1 : sure it's possible, but more likely the starter motor itself . "newly redone" starter ? as in rebuilt ? Anyways, there's no "non-technical" method of inspecting the starter system; you need to pull the case cover off and go exploring its innards. So you have determined that the engine itself is not stuck- has it been sitting idle for 8 years?
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

the relay (solenoid) should click, not the starter. are you sure that is not what is happening?
      if you are sure the battery is good, take off the cable from the solenoid, the one that goes to the starter motor and touch it on the other post of the solenoid,( that one is connected directly to the battery). the starter motor should spin then if the motor and battery is good.
      Make sure you have good ground connections on the engine and the starter solenoid, to the frame,or direct to the battery negative if required
      1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

If the starter "gears" (it's actually a one-way clutch mechanism) were stuck, the starter would still turn the engine. If it was truly stuck, the engine would actually continue to turn the starter and probably destroy it pretty quickly.

So that's not it.

Assuming the engine turns freely (you can easily turn the engine with a 19mm wrench on the right side of the crank), you either have low current available to the starter or the starter is not working correctly. Either the battery is weak or the wiring or the starter are failing under load.

Clean the ground and starter connections at both ends, make sure the battery has voltage, and bridge the starter relay again. I'd also put a volt meter on the battery and see what sort of voltage drop you're getting under load.

If that doesn't work, the starter motor isn't working correctly. It's very common that a failing starter will spin freely by itself, but it doesn't have enough power under load.

The starter rebuild could be faulty -- perhaps the brushes aren't making good enough contact.
        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Hey Pierre

Welcome to the GSR from another Saffer! There are a couple of us here: Flyboy from Benoni; Matchless from George and myself from Wellington (Cape).

After standing for 8 years there could be corrosion on electrical connectors and earths. I suggest that you start at the back and work your way forward, cleaning every electrical connector and earth point.

Follow the suggestions above and see if the starter spins. Report back here on your results.

I find your comment that ..."My starter button does not work (does not make starter motor click), but when my backwheel is elevated higher than the front wheel and the bike is leaned a bit to the left side, the starter button works, and makes the starter motor click ..." quite strange, and this may indicate that there is a loose connection somewhere.

If you work methodically through all connections, you will find the culprit.

Good luck!
          1981 GS850G "Blue Magic" (Bike Of The Month April 2009)

1981 GS1000G "Leo" (Bike Of The Month August 2023)

Comment

I've seen where the starter clutch bolts backed out and took out the idler gear and all the splines on the starter.
            The guy thought his motor locked up.
            1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
            1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by Naturchine View Post
              (fyi: engine itself is not stuck, kill switch is on run, side stand is up, clutch is pulled/engaged, bike is in neutral)
              Unless there was something in your "safety" regulations that mandated some sort of switch,
              the position of the side stand has no effect on starting/running ability.

Here in the USA, a "Side Stand" light appeared on some of the 1982 models.
              They only activated a light on the instrument panel, they had no effect on starting/running ability, either.

sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Hi
                Thanks to every one for the replies so far!
                I'm busy learning what a GS is made up out of, so please excuse any
                unclarities, non-technical phrases / descriptions, or anything of that
                nature.

UPDATE:
                When I tried starting the bike (a month ago), the click got louder
                (and click sound started to differentiate) the more I tried: like it
                was beginning / trying / starting to free whatever made the starter
                motor to not turn.

tom203:

Just for clarity: As far as I understand, the starter motor's gear
                connects to the starter clutch.

1. Am I correct?

2. If you are referring to the starter clutch being possibly stuck,
                any idea how to unstick it; or, make sure it's not stuck otherwise?

I am willing to pull the cover.

3. Will all the oil drain (or a tiny bit) if it's on center stand or
                leaned to right side?

4. How to get those tight (star point screwdriver) bolts loose (and
                without damaging bolts)?

New brushes and armature's top layer cleared / cleaned / scraped
                (shiny / mirror).

Has been sitting idle for 8 years. Back wheel can turn when in gear
                and engine has most compression in first gear and least in fifth gear
                (when bike is pushed and in gear).

Agemax:

I can hear a click coming from the starter motor / engine's side
                (sounds to specifically come from starter motor). I've definitely
                never heard the relay starter / solenoid click/s at any time.

I will try your suggestion concerning by-passing the solenoid (other
                end of wire connected to starter motor's post / bolt, directly to
                battery's positive terminal).

1. Good ground connections: meaning where the starter motor touches /
                bolted onto the engine, it should make good contact / clean surfaces
                (debris / filth / corrosion could disable ground connection)?

2. Any other ground connections that I should take a look at?

bwringer:

1. What is the starter motor's gear connecting to in the engine: what
                is the one-way clutch mechanism called?

I was thinking that the gears are corroded stuck to each other.
                And not the clutch mechanism stuck in the starting position and
                therefore still free to spin.

Engine turning freely: back wheel can turn when in gear. Engine has
                most compression in first gear and least in fifth gear (when bike is
                pushed and in gear).

I will do as your recommendation requires and get back to you
                concerning the outcome / conclusion.

2BRacing:

Thanks for the welcome! I would love to cruise with you / all, if the
                opportunity ever arises. My dad lives in Wellington. I lived there
                between 2002 - 2007. Great to know you're so close by.

1. How do I know what / where the earths / earth points are?

2. How do I thoroughly clean the female connectors? Can I use copper
                wire strands (electric cable's insides) and create a sort of a
                friction / scraping in the female connectors?

3. Do you know if I can put a thin layer of non-corossive bearing
                grease (it's what I have) on the connectors to retard / protect from
                future corrosion (I don't have Vaseline at hand).

I will do as your recommendation requires and report back on the
                outcome / conclusion.

chef1366

Very interesting information, thank you! I will keep this in mind.

1. Was the back wheel locked?

2. Do you know what happened / symptoms when he tried to start the
                bike (starter motor click, etc)?

Steve

Just cancelling out what I can until bike starts & then learn how it
                functions from there on.

Thank you for the information.

Comment

"UPDATE:
                  When I tried starting the bike (a month ago), the click got louder
                  (and click sound started to differentiate) the more I tried: like it
                  was beginning / trying / starting to free whatever made the starter
                  motor to not turn."

Sure sounds like weak battery , bad connections ,or tired starter motor . So your engine turns over -this is good. Look at attached pic; the starter motor turns an immediate gear (not in pic) that turns the gear you see in pic; this spins and the starter clutch (just to left of gear) "locks" up and spins crankshaft in correct direction

You can lean the bike carefully and sturdily to right and no oil will come out if you take off cover. I'd suspect bad connections, so first check these like others have said.
                  1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Click is not very accurate

Get out your VOM and tell us these voltages

Battery static

Positive solenoid static

Voltage at starter when solenoid bridged

Voltage at battery when solenoid ridged

You likely have a host of small problems causing voltage drop

Pull the spark plugs and the ignition cover. See if the motor rotates when you turn the big nut
                    1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                    1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                    1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                    1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                    1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                    1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                    2007 DRz 400S
                    1999 ATK 490ES
                    1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Hey guys,

Thanks for pointing me to the electrical side of things.

This is what the Suzuki GS850G Service Manual has to say:
                      (Well, I can't quote, so I will interperet):
                      If the motor doesn't crank, the relay contact points are problematic,
                      or starter motor is then internally open-circuited.

I've already bridged the relay, and everything is pointing to the
                      starter motor.

It sounds like (according to the manual), the armature needs to
                      be replaced.

I will need to replace the relay (no chatter) (confirmed by manual).
                      I've cleaned grounds and electrical connections (almost finished).
                      Turned the engine / crank with a 19mm wrench (was able to turn).

So before I do anything else, I will take care of the starter motor's
                      armature & follow more of the suggestions, if needs be (voltage
                      readings etc).

Thanks for all of the awesome insight so far!

Comment

The brushes of the starter motor could be worn down too short, making poor contact. If the starter has seen a lot of use, the copper segments of the armature could be worn down as well, with very little "gap" between them.

If this is the case, use a hacksaw blade to "undercut" the insulation between the copper segments, thus restoring each individual segment.

It is seldom necessary to have to replace the whole armature.
                        1981 GS850G "Blue Magic" (Bike Of The Month April 2009)

1981 GS1000G "Leo" (Bike Of The Month August 2023)

Comment

2BRacing:

Thanks for the hack (armature). I appreciate such helpful information.
                          After cleaning contacts and putting in new fuses, the starter button once again works. Thanks so much!!
                          I'm still busy with the rest, but will be back to report on progress.

Comment

I opened the left cover / casing of the engine.
                            I bridged the solenoid to start the bike.
                            That what sounded like a click, is the starter motor (CCW) trying to turn the gear it's connected to, but is unable to, and then (when starter motor stops trying) the gears spin in reverse direction (of what starter motor was trying to turn it (starter motor's gear then also spins with it: CW)).
                            The gears (the starter motor is connected to) easily and freely rotates in the opposite direction of what it's supposed to turn, but when I try (by hand) to turn gears in proper direction: it's stuck.
                            As mentioned previously, I successfully rotated 19mm crank bolt situated on rotor's side (I did not remove sparkplugs when I turned bolt).

Comment

If the engine will turn over with the crank bolt and you dont hear the starter clutch bolts hitting the engine case, I would go back to the starter itself. Put a wrench on the rotor bolt and see if the engine turns without anything hitting or hanging up..youre inside the cover anyway. Take a hammer and tap on the end of the starters gear while the cover is off also to see if it jiggles the armerature loose and will spin the motor again.

I am betting on a junked out starter motor..or at least a mis reassembled one.

And if you twist the starter clutch gear to the left it should grab the crank..to the right it should just free spin.
                              MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                              1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Working...
                              X