Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Contamination around cams / valve buckets (pics) - what is this crap?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contamination around cams / valve buckets (pics) - what is this crap?

Friends,

I recently pulled the head and cylinder block off of my bike (1982 GS1100 2v) to fix a leak at the front center of the crank case to cylinders (crappy paper gasket).

I'd like to share with you all two of the issues I found for your comments and guidance.

1) Contamination in the head / cam area. What is this stuff? Looks like there's fine dirt in there. I've smudged it with my finger right on the opposite side of that valve bucket:

2) I just replaced the little black cap on the cam chain guide. This is 200 miles of wear. Also note that black smudge stuff isn't in these two cam/bucket interfaces, unlike in the above picture:

So I have crap in the head by the valve buckets (but only some of them) and a worn chain guide after only a few miles.

What's causing the mess? Any theories? Bad valve guide seal? Worn out / miss-set chain tension? Close? Way off?

Trying to keep the old girl on the road - I appreciate your help in advance.

Brian

Looks like dust from the worn chain guide, nothing alarming I don't think.

Comment

Something wrong with the cam chain if the guide is worn that much. You might want to check the chain for stretch, and verify the tensioner is working properly.
      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

is it as dry as it looks I see oil all but in that bucket ? if so the oil may be washing the same out of the other buckets

Comment

That is way too much wear for 200 miles. It explains the black stuff, but not how the cam chain guide got that way.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
          1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
          1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Exhaust side only

Looking again at the contamination, two points:

1) A lot of the oil is out of there already from pulling the head and moving it around. When I pulled the valve cover the levels were pretty even over each valve bucket.

2) The contamination is mainly on the exhaust side only. Anything to this, or is that where it would end up based on the direction the cam chain rotates?

Thanks for the help.

Comment

Not sure which is left/right from the pic, do you leave the bike on its side stand? Could explain why most of the mess is at one end.

Comment

Personally I'd be less concerned about where the mess is and more concerned about how it got there.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
                1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
                1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

To Chris G above: Bike sits on center stand. While this picture is one end of the exhaust cam, all the exhaust cam journals look like this one (same crud in them). Intake side is clean and looks normal.

Time to post another pic of what the crap might be:

Yes, that's what happens when you place that square rubber o-ring on the head gasket because you haven't found another place for it. NO idea what I was thinking when I put this together (it must have been late). 200 miles later, I have a base gasket oil leak, so I pull the head to find this.

Think all that contamination could be that burnt crap riding up the cam chain into the head?

Comment

Next step is to check the head for warp as soon as I get home from work. Fingers crossed it's still reasonably straight.

Comment

Head and cylinder block are verified straight (thank the GS Gods), and new OEM base gasket arriving this evening.

Any advice on reinstalling the cylinder block? How does eveyone keep their pistons straight in order to drop the block on without damaging the rings?

Comment

Originally posted by BSwem72 View Post
                        Any advice on reinstalling the cylinder block? How does eveyone keep their pistons straight in order to drop the block on without damaging the rings?
                        My Clymer manual shows how to make a block to hold the piston. A piece of wood that is cut narrow enough to go between the cylinder studs and has a slot to straddle the connecting rod. Sort of like a wooden tuning fork without a handle.

You only need two of them. Start with #2 and #3 pistons up, slide the blocks under them. Drop the cylinders down, work the rings into the tapers on the bottom of the liners. When the cylinders are fully over the rings on 2 and 3, move the crank a bit to give enough clearance to pull the blocks out, then turn the crank slowly to lower the cylinders over 1 and 4.

sigpic
                        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                        Family Portrait
                        Siblings and Spouses
                        Mom's first ride
                        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

The wear on the chain guide could be that its mounted upside down. Check its up the right way up by looking at your old one, it will have witness marks on it from the chain.
                          My bikes 79 GS1000 1085 checked and approved by stator the GSR mascot and 77 GS750 with 850 top end, GS850g, and my eldest sons 78 GS550, youngest sons GS125. Project bike 79 GS1000N

Comment

Originally posted by uk gs nut View Post
                            The wear on the chain guide could be that its mounted upside down. Check its up the right way up by looking at your old one, it will have witness marks on it from the chain.
                            Much appreciated - I will check this when I get home.

Comment

Head is back on. I used a VERY light application of permatex copper around an oem base gasket (light coat top and bottom), also a non-OEM head gasket, but one with metal crush washers around the cylinders, so my fingers are crossed.

There's a hairline bead of permitex showing front and center of the base gasket, so hopefully that'll take care of my leaking problem that led to this whole tear down.

Waiting on new exhaust fasteners and chain guide triangle (not sure what that little plastic part is called) before further assembly. I'll keep you posted.

Comment

Working...
                              X