cam chain slack and adjuster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

cam chain slack and adjuster

I feel there is something wrong with my gsx1100es engine, it's making more mechanical noise than my 750 and when listening around with a screw driver I find the noise to be strongest at the top of the engine near the center of it. It's a rattling noise, kinda like valves except I have adjusted all of them so they're up to spec.

I'm wondering if the adjuster isn't doing it's job and can it be removed from the engine without the chain falling of a tooth or something so I can check it?

Can the chain be measured for stretch whitout removing it from the engine?

Anything else I should look into?
    Last edited by Spiff; 05-06-2014, 05:32 AM.

It is surprisingly common for the adjuster to be installed incorrectly. You can verify proper installation without dismantling anything. Look in from the left side, below the carbs, you will see a set screw and lock nut on the left side of the tensioner. Loosen the locknut (about 1/2 turn), hold it in place, turn the set screw in until it stops (it should not be far). Turn the set screw out 1/4 to 1/2 turn, hold it in place, tighten the lock nut.

Should you find the need to remove the tensioner, you might find it easier if you remove the carbs first.

To check for chain stretch, you might be able to see enough links across the top, between the two sprockets. Remove the valve cover and measure the chain, compare your measurement to the specs in the manual.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Check the function of the cam chain tensioner. As the engine idles, turn the big knob on the right side of the tensioner A LITTLE BIT counterclockwise while listening to the engine.
      Talking 1/8 of a turn or less. If the engine sound changes, stop. Let go of the knob. If it turns back clockwise and the sound goes back to what it was, it's functioning correctly.

If you turn the knob very far without paying attention to the sound, SERIOUS ENGINE DAMAGE will occur. Death, destruction, the burning of virgin dollars, and other maladies will be occuring inside your engine so just turn it A LITTLE BIT.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

I'm also having some (quite a lot ) top end noise supposedly coming from the cam chain I need to look after. On my 750 it only occurs when the engine is hot though. Is this also the case with your bike or does it occur right after you've started it?

Comment

I haven't heard a cam chain act like that. Only hearing it hot sounds like something else. Could possibly be the tensioner is locked down or stuck, dunno.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by berm View Post
            I'm also having some (quite a lot ) top end noise supposedly coming from the cam chain I need to look after. On my 750 it only occurs when the engine is hot though. Is this also the case with your bike or does it occur right after you've started it?
            No, on mine the noise is there regardless of the engine being hot or cold.

Comment

If the tensioner is not locked, and does not seem to be functioning correctly as noted above, it's time to replace the seals

They could be hard and not allowing the tensioner rod to move freely
              1978 GS 1000 (since new)
              1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
              1978 GS 1000 (parts)
              1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
              1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
              1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
              2007 DRz 400S
              1999 ATK 490ES
              1994 DR 350SES

Comment

thanks for the help guys, I checked the tensioner today and it was locked. I loosened it and hopefully it will be noise free when i get the exhaust back on and fire her up tomorrow.
                I don't know how long it has been locked like that and if any damage might have ocurred because of it being like that, what do you guys think? Should I be worried?

Comment

Youre good...now adjust it correctly. Turn the adjuster screw in till it touches off on the rod. back off 1/4 turn and lock down the jamming nut.
                  MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                  1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

So I got it fired up today and all is quiet.
                    Thanks again for the help guys

Comment

Working...
                    X