Chain just broke

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chain just broke

Well, I won't have to adjust that chain anymore.

I'm on a downhill parkway on ramp, and I see two more modern sportbikes fly by in the left lane cooking, but not over cooking. Me and Suzi can catch them. Thought I missed a shift, then I realized I hadn't even tried to shift. Pulled in the lever and looked down to see the chain dragging - no big surprise.

Halfway through my three-mile push home (how can there be uphills and no downhills?) I noticed this damage to my plate, but not a mark elsewhere. Couldn't have been a car side-swiping me while parked. This is after I straightened it a little. I'm trying to picture how the chain could have done this.

Oh well. Time to count my fingers, toes and blessings.
    1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Don't ask why.... Be glad you didn't have a wreck with the chain wrapped around your wheel. Glad you're OK and the damage is minimal.
    Last edited by JTGS850GL; 05-04-2014, 12:54 PM.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
    1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
    1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

That's what happens when you run your chain too tight and neglect it. Think yourself lucky you still have a left leg!
      1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

The best part...just as the chain snapped, it started to rain.
        1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

This from the guy who was told many times not to adjust the chain too tight.

Amazing.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

When I went on this last ride tonight, it was on the loose side. I can't say what the PO stuck me with.

I've adjusted the clutch, changed the oil and filter, adjusted the chain, had the instrument panel apart to replace a tach light bulb, installed pods and 4-into-1 exhaust, all before I owned a torque wrench (I now have two). Do I have your permission, tkunt02 (sic), to ride my motorcycle?

You're the most negative guy on here. But...I have learned something from you - when you helped that guy with the sticky clutch plates.

As Elvis Costello said, Get Happy!

Comment

Who rides with a too tight chain. Hard on chain and hard no doubt on transmission output shaft and wheel bearings.

I have never had a chain break even when running down two links.

E and U are pretty far apart to typo.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
                When I went on this last ride tonight, it was on the loose side. I can't say what the PO stuck me with.

I've adjusted the clutch, changed the oil and filter, adjusted the chain, had the instrument panel apart to replace a tach light bulb, installed pods and 4-into-1 exhaust, all before I owned a torque wrench (I now have two). Do I have your permission, tkunt02 (sic), to ride my motorcycle?

You're the most negative guy on here. But...I have learned something from you - when you helped that guy with the sticky clutch plates.

As Elvis Costello said, Get Happy!

No he is not,i struggle to keep my text to myself sometimes! Damn kids!

Comment

That sucks, but I'm glad you're ok. A guy I know had a clip type master link come apart in the Holland tunnel. Talk about excitement......Regarding the chain- my first GS came to me with an el cheapo non o ring chain. I had to adjust it weekly. It pays to get a good chain.
                  sigpic
                  When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                  -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                  -Rusty old scooter.
                  Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                  https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                  https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Originally posted by JEEPRUSTY View Post
                    E and U are pretty far apart to typo.
                    SIC - spelling is correct.

I'm not fond of too-loose chains (the famous French painter). Or fairings. Or luggage racks. Or sissy bars. Or radiators. Or tank bags. Or shaft drive. Or crash bars. Or heated grips. Or windshields. Or highway bars.

I can be negative too. (I'm sure I just alienated a sheetload of 850 riders out there.)

Comment

Remember when your mom wouldn't let you have that tricyle whe you were eleven?

She knew. Quit while you're ahead.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Rob,

Since everyone else has beaten you up about your chain, I'll just chip in and advise you to obtain some roadside assistance coverage

I can get a free tow (actually a flatbed ride) here with a AAA Plus membership, up to 100 miles. You won't always be 3 miles from home. Worth every penny
                        1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                        1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                        1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                        1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                        1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                        1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                        2007 DRz 400S
                        1999 ATK 490ES
                        1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Chef dude has a 630 on sale on ebay.

Comment

Now, for the technical opinions. Chef is sending me a 96-link 630 chain (I know, I should go 530). Being that the one I just left on the side of the road was a 96-link 630, I was thinking I could install the replacement without removing the foot peg, shift linkage and front sprocket cover.

Thoughts?

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                              Remember when your mom wouldn't let you have that tricyle whe you were eleven?

She knew. Quit while you're ahead.
                              Working on the Bard award are we?
                              sigpic
                              83 GS1100g
                              2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Working...
                              X