Chain just broke

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Grand Rouge
    Hey Rob...will you post a pic of the position of the rear wheel in the swing arm? Looking at the adjusters in your photo, chain was toast a few inches ago.
    Twelve lines on the adjusters, first towards the front of the bike, twelfth towards the rear. Both adjusters are on #9.

You passed the eye test.
    1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Glad to hear that you did not get killed. Chains do not like to be stretched beyond their limits for extended periods of time before they break. Try for some slack with the next one.

Comment

When I bought it, there was so much slack I heard this loud clanking from the left rear. Look what that hulking 630 did to my beautiful swing arm.
        1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Of the 12 marks on the adjusters, at which one would you say the chain is toast?

Comment

Originally posted by Big T View Post
            Rob,

Since everyone else has beaten you up about your chain, I'll just chip in and advise you to obtain some roadside assistance coverage

I can get a free tow (actually a flatbed ride) here with a AAA Plus membership, up to 100 miles. You won't always be 3 miles from home. Worth every penny
            So true. When my stator cooked 200 miles from home, a guy in our group had AAA. I was towed the full 200 miles after some creative finageling by the towtruck driver.

Originally posted by Notz View Post
            I've always had my reservations about (clip) master links. Which is why I've never had one. I get the best chain I can afford and peen it (rivet type) over myself.
            In all my years of street and offroad riding, Iive never lost a clip type masterlink.....I do carry a spare though.
            sigpic
            When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
            -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
            -Rusty old scooter.
            Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
            https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
            https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Inall my riding years I have never broke a 630 chain, i have however broke 530's and 525's a few 520's.All I can say is that 630 must have been pretty trashed and had to be noisey. And I believe that the chain is in the replace zone of your marks about# 7. They also have a little replace sticker on the side of the adjuster itself
              1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
              80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
              1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished
              83 gs750ed- first new purchase
              85 EX500- vintage track weapon
              1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
              “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
              If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
                Of the 12 marks on the adjusters, at which one would you say the chain is toast?
                That would depend on where it was when it was NEW.

It has been over 35 years since I have had the "pleasure" of riding a chain-driven bike and had to deal with chain maintenance, so I don't know how much they "stretch" during their life. Besides, everyone is saying how much better chains are nowadays and how little maintenance they really need, so whatever I remember about it has probably changed.

sigpic
                mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I drag raced a GPz 750 Turbo and an FZ1 for years and never had a chain break. Proper maintenance, attention to detail, replacing things as they wear past tolerances, it all adds up to being able to rely on your bike.
                  "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
                  ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                  1982 CB900f

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02
                    Other times they lock up until you get sideways, then let go for the biggest highside you can ever imagine.

See Barry Sheene, Daytona, 1975.
                    1980 GS550ET

Comment

An hour spent reading about chains, why and how they wear, why and how they fail, and what happens when they do will save you some grief in the future. You got lucky, your wheel stayed free to turn. Just like pulling in the clutch, you roll to a stop. Sometimes the chain jams against the case and your engine is ruined. Often they jam, lock up the wheel and your rear wheel skids until you stop moving. Other times they lock up until you get sideways, then let go for the biggest highside you can imagine. This is the one that kills more riders than any other mechanical malfunction. Don't push your luck on old chains. Don't mismatch them. Two new sprockets and a quality new chain, all at the same time. If you can't afford all three, don't get a motorcycle. Don't ignore it when they make noise or need too many adjustments. Lube it once in a while if you wish, all that effects is replacement intervals, but when it's done it's done. Replace the whole set. With modern chains it's very easy to do it right, they really should last a long long time between adjustments, getting 30,000 miles on a chain is common, without even pushing it on the far end.

Check chain wear by how well the chain fits the sprockets, and how symetrically the sprockets wear, the tight - loose - tight as the wheel goes around. If you can pull the chain away from the sprocket at the back, halfway around the rear sprocket, it's wearing. They wear faster and faster as the pin to pin distance of the chain (which increases with wear) no longer matches the tooth to tooth distance of the sprockets (which decreases with wear). Once this happens the engine forces are hitting one tooth at a time as each link comes off the rear sprocket, or as it goes on the front sprocket, instead of pulling evenly on all of the teeth in contact with the sprocket. Much more stress on any given point on the chain as it goes around, much more stress on each tooth in turn. At this point the wear drastically increases, it's time to start thinking about the next chain and sprockets. Then as the forces hit the teeth one at a time, the sprocket teeth bend over into hooks, the holes or valleys between teeth get out of round. This is when the tight loose tight thing gets going, adjustment becomes difficult, chain noise starts to get noticeable.
                      After that it's a fool's mission to run them any longer. You could perhaps get more miles with constant adjustment, but it can also break at any time.

Above all, don't run them too tight. Too tight puts literally tons of additional force on the chain, many times the normal load the chain was designed for, allows the chain to break at any time with no warning, or ruin a countershaft bearing or wheel bearing, as they are not designed for this additional stress.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Chain Driven

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                        That would depend on where it was when it was NEW.

It has been over 35 years since I have had the "pleasure" of riding a chain-driven bike and had to deal with chain maintenance, so I don't know how much they "stretch" during their life. Besides, everyone is saying how much better chains are nowadays and how little maintenance they really need, so whatever I remember about it has probably changed.

It's really not that much of a hassle to maintain a chain driven bike. As a matter of fact, I learned quite a bit about the importance of certain characteristics to avoid...thanks to MrBill. Not everyone gets an opportunity to meet a GS owner/mentor like I have--his teaching method for me is great. My bike and me are benefiting from such instances as this weekend.

Ed
                        GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
                        GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
                        GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
                        Originally posted by GSXR7ED
                        Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Yeah ask Ed what I did once I got his old chain off. I about freaked! I got it off and said holy **** this thing is totally shot. I could literally make a U shape against the links. Weird thing is, I checked his sprockets and they didn't seem to have that much wear on them. No cups or sharp ends. So I slapped (of course cleaned and relubed) my old 630 (bout 3K miles on it) on his bike. This is temporary fix anyways once we get the nut broke loose off the front sprocket.

Ed was amazed in the difference in the chain when he test rode it.

As far as the clip master link is concerned, I had nothing but on my bike for the last 30 years. Never had one come off. When they are installed right and little dab of silicone spread over the top of the link for a bit of a safety feature they are good to go. I always carry a spare as well.
                          sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
                          1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
                          2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Originally posted by mrbill5491 View Post
                            When they are installed right and little dab of silicone spread over the top of the link for a bit of a safety feature they are good to go. I always carry a spare as well.
                            A bit of safety wire holding the clip on can't hurt, a blob of red RTV so it's easy to find the master to glance at the clip before a ride. Probably serious overkill, I haven't had one come off in decades, just hasn't happened since I quit running crappy chains on old sprockets. It just isn't a problem, but the two minutes spent to safety it seems easy enough.

For the Über paranoid, run an endless chain. It's probably time to grease the swingarm bearings anyway.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                              A bit of safety wire holding the clip on can't hurt, a blob of red RTV so it's easy to find the master to glance at the clip before a ride. Probably serious overkill, I haven't had one come off in decades, just hasn't happened since I quit running crappy chains on old sprockets. It just isn't a problem, but the two minutes spent to safety it seems easy enough.

For the Über paranoid, run an endless chain. It's probably time to grease the swingarm bearings anyway.

Yup, no cutting corners with chains. I've seen the damage one can do when it lets go even at 70mph.
                              sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
                              1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
                              2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Originally posted by hjfisk View Post
                                Inall my riding years I have never broke a 630 chain, i have however broke 530's and 525's a few 520's.All I can say is that 630 must have been pretty trashed and had to be noisey. And I believe that the chain is in the replace zone of your marks about# 7. They also have a little replace sticker on the side of the adjuster itself
                                Modern 530s are just as strong as the old dinosaur 630s. Possibly stronger.
                                "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
                                ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                                1982 CB900f

Comment

Working...
                                X