No announcement yet.

Chain just broke

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They are all plenty strong enough until they are completely worn out. Its not about strength. It's about maintenance. Replace when needed.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

A quality sealed chain (o-ring, x-ring, whatever-ring) will essentially need one adjustment during its whole life, around the 500 mile or so mark (and that will be extremely minimal, if anything). It is not from the chain "stretching", it is from the chain loosening up a bit from its storage time in the box, and your inability to properly pull it tight when first installed.

After that, if you clean it regularly and use a water displacing chemical (WD-40 is great) on it after cleaning, it will give you at least 20,000 miles of adjustment free, reliable service.

If you have to adjust it after the initial break in period, there is something wrong. Either it is prematurely wearing for some reason, or your rear axle isn't staying in place (in which case, the chain will tend to get tighter, not looser).

I've never lost a clip type master link in thirty years and tens of thousands of miles of riding. Ever. I'm convinced the reason people lose them is because they aren't installed properly.

Of course, that's impossible to prove or disprove after the fact.
      sigpic

SUZUKI:
      1978 GS1000E; 1980 GS1000G; 1982 GS650E; 1982 GS1100G; 1982 GS1100E; 1985 GS700ES
      HONDA: 1981 CB900F Super Sport
      KAWASAKI: 1981 KZ550A-2; 1984 ZX750A-2 (aka GPZ750); 1984 KZ700A-1
      YAMAHA: 1983 XJ750RK Seca

Free speech is the foundation of an open society. Each time a society bans a word or phrase it deems “offensive”, it chips away at that very foundation upon which it was built.

Comment

Originally posted by GS1150Pilot View Post
        Modern 530s are just as strong as the old dinosaur 630s. Possibly stronger.
        Oh I know the modern 530's are just as strong, I was just stating that I had never seen a 630 break. I have , and have seen the others break. I have seen alot of worn out high performance No maintenance 630 chains. Just never a BROKEN one.
        1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
        80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
        1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished
        83 gs750ed- first new purchase
        85 EX500- vintage track weapon
        1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
        “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
        If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

Originally posted by hjfisk View Post
          Inall my riding years I have never broke a 630 chain, i have however broke 530's and 525's a few 520's.All I can say is that 630 must have been pretty trashed and had to be noisey. And I believe that the chain is in the replace zone of your marks about# 7. They also have a little replace sticker on the side of the adjuster itself
          No stickers on my adjusters. It was finally, correctly explained to me (by Frank of Powerhouse Motorcycles) why modern 530's are stronger than 630's. Since the links are smaller, there are more of them for a given length, more metal. Makes sense?

He also said my "ass-dyno" would not notice a difference (on a bike like my stock 1100EZ) by converting to 530.
          1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

630 is stronger than 530. The links are larger and thicker. More metal, heavier too. 630 was used when GS's were new because back then, 530's were margional. Now a days, even smaller chains are more than strong enough so there is no reason to use 630, which is heavier.
            Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

So, does that mean you're a convert now Rob?
              Last edited by mrbill5491; 05-04-2014, 04:37 PM.
              sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
              1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
              2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Originally posted by mrbill5491 View Post
                So, does that mean you're a convert now Rob?
                I never trusted converts - you don't follow your first religion, why would you follow your next?

My Suzi was born a 630, she'll stay a 630.

Probably

Maybe.
                1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Time to start shopping. Are there different materials for sprockets? Better brands?

What's the best? Not best price, best sprockets (and chain)?

Comment

I suggest calling Z1Enterprises and ordering from them.

Comment

Originally posted by koolaid_kid View Post
                      I suggest calling Z1Enterprises and ordering from them.
                      Where I got my conversion, Jeff and his crew are very helpful.
                      sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
                      1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
                      2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

That 1100e isn't going to break a modern 530 chain without some serious work done to it. New modern 1000's come stock with 525's and 530's and 150 + hp no fear convert and save your self some money
                        1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
                        80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
                        1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished
                        83 gs750ed- first new purchase
                        85 EX500- vintage track weapon
                        1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
                        “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
                        If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
                          Time to start shopping. Are there different materials for sprockets? Better brands?

What's the best? Not best price, best sprockets (and chain)?
                          Call your local Suzuki dealer for oem parts he will enjoy your business.

They might even install it for you.

Comment

Originally posted by hjfisk View Post
                            That 1100e isn't going to break a modern 530 chain without some serious work done to it. New modern 1000's come stock with 525's and 530's and 150 + hp no fear convert and save your self some money
                            the factory MOTO GP bikes, (250BHP+) only use a 520 chain.
                            1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Originally posted by Grand Rouge
                              Thanks Ed for posting this. One BIG Difference that this correct illustration mentions re Chain Slack is: SAG. SAG as opposed to slack. Too many folks have set chain tightness so that total deflection up and down is 1.2 inches. Too tight by half. Correct total deflection would be twice that or 2.4 inches. Measurements with bike on center stand. Factory length shocks etc.

I destroyed factory chain way back in 1984 for that very reason. Toast in 5,000 miles. Thought I was doing it right. Nope.

I have confirmed too that with the 2 to 2.4 inches of total chain movement, there is easily a half inch of sag with the swing arm compressed so that the drive sprocket, the swing arm pivot and the rear axel are in a straight line.
                              This is what I was getting at, only you said it a lot better. I didn't see the diagram well enough to see it's only showing distance from center, not the total up and down travel. An inch total up and down is simply not enough. More than 2.4" is OK, but less than 1.6" total will break chains as the swingarm goes up and down.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                                More than 2.4" is OK, but less than 1.6" total will break chains as the swingarm goes up and down.
                                Well then my chain is way too tight. I guess i need to adjust that out more. I wonder why everyone says an inch total movement is ok? Well i guess i need to get on that.

Comment

Working...
                                X