81 GS650 Valve Shim Advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

81 GS650 Valve Shim Advice

Just did a valve clearance check on my new to me 81 GS650. Here are my results:

I am planning to reuse one of the 2.60x shims on intake 2 to have that clearance a little less than 0.10mm.

What do you think about cylinder 3? I didn't see any 2.55x shims at Z1 Enterprises.

Any other comments on my adjustments?

Thanks,
    Dave
    Blog of my motorcycle projects - http://twowheeljunkie.wordpress.com/
    1981 Suzuki GS650L - Project Bike - Sold
    2013 Suzuki SFV650 - Sold
    2016 Ducati Multistrada 1200 Touring

Have you spoken with GhostGS1 yet to see if the Shim Club has any available? Look him up in the GS Services section of the forum.
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

I'm having the same issue. Where do we find specific valve shims? Would it be worth it so get custom shims from a machine shop?

Comment

I always use shims that get me in the .06 -.10 range. A little looser than .08 doesn't hurt anything. I'd leave them where they are listed on your chart and call it good.

Don't sweat a .01 or .02 difference. Your just want there to be enough clearance so that you don't have to worry about them for another 4,000 miles or so.

Don't forget to sync your carbs after you set clearances and button her all up. the carbs will probably need a bit of tweaking once the clearances change.
        sigpic

SUZUKI:
        1978 GS1000E; 1980 GS1000G; 1982 GS650E; 1982 GS1100G; 1982 GS1100E; 1985 GS700ES
        HONDA: 1981 CB900F Super Sport
        KAWASAKI: 1981 KZ550A-2; 1984 ZX750A-2 (aka GPZ750); 1984 KZ700A-1
        YAMAHA: 1983 XJ750RK Seca

Free speech is the foundation of an open society. Each time a society bans a word or phrase it deems “offensive”, it chips away at that very foundation upon which it was built.

Comment

Originally posted by Sandro_916 View Post
          I'm having the same issue. Where do we find specific valve shims? Would it be worth it so get custom shims from a machine shop?
          No, it wouldn't. See my post above about clearances. They don't all have to be identical.

This guy sells shims for $7 each and always has an excellent selection in stock:

Valve Shims for Bikes in CRC2's Online Catalog of New motorcycle Parts and Accessories Indy
          sigpic

SUZUKI:
          1978 GS1000E; 1980 GS1000G; 1982 GS650E; 1982 GS1100G; 1982 GS1100E; 1985 GS700ES
          HONDA: 1981 CB900F Super Sport
          KAWASAKI: 1981 KZ550A-2; 1984 ZX750A-2 (aka GPZ750); 1984 KZ700A-1
          YAMAHA: 1983 XJ750RK Seca

Free speech is the foundation of an open society. Each time a society bans a word or phrase it deems “offensive”, it chips away at that very foundation upon which it was built.

Comment

Originally posted by Griffin View Post
            This guy sells shims for $7 each and always has an excellent selection in stock:

http://newmotorcycleparts.com/motor_...lve_shims.html
            Z1 sells most of their shims for $4.82, but some are more expensive.

Wherever you shop for shims, make sure you get 29.5mm diameter.
            Some Yamaha and Kawasaki shims are 29.0.

The only place you can order "X" shims is from the GSR Shim Club.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Be warned that some markings are in error- best to get an inexpensive micrometer and measure them, rather than assume.
              1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Thanks for the advice/comments. I will go with what I have in the chart and check the clearances again after installing the new shims.

Thanks,
                Dave

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
                  Be warned that some markings are in error- best to get an inexpensive micrometer and measure them, rather than assume.
                  Sometimes they wear a little thinner, sometimes they wear unevenly. Sometimes people put them in upside down and the numbers get worn off on the cam. It's really not all that critical, the only important thing is that the clearances are not too tight when all is done.
                  http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Off topic, but anyone know the diameter of the bucket off hand, not just the shim? Nissan uses a lot of buckets/shims on their motors.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                      .. It's really not all that critical, the only important thing is that the clearances are not too tight when all is done.
                      I agree but when you take a shim out, you're best to measure it and not rely on number to decide what you need- I found about 30% of my shims marked incorrectly- a micrometer lets you know and offers a nice way to compare the ingoing shim to outgoing one.
                      1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by Old guy View Post
                        Off topic, but anyone know the diameter of the bucket off hand, not just the shim? Nissan uses a lot of buckets/shims on their motors.
                        With vernier, it measures 33.5 mm diameter
                        1981 gs650L

Comment

Just to close this out, here are my final numbers after the adjustments:

Initially I ordered 4 new shims form Z1 and rearranged 4 existing shims, but it turned out that Exhaust #1 and Intake #4 were tighter than the assumed 0.02mm since I could only measure 0.03mm and above. Both would still be in spec at 0.04mm, but at the opposite end of the desired clearance range than the other valves.

On Intake #4 I had a shim left over that improved the clearance to 0.09mm, but I had to order one more shim to improve the Exhaust #1 clearance to 0.09mm. Both ended up dropping two shim sizes while everything else dropped one shim size.

I like how the final numbers came out. All right around 0.08mm with a few at 0.10mm.

Dave

Comment

Working...
                          X