1978 gs1000e cylinder head cover

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1978 gs1000e cylinder head cover

I noticed pryor on the valve cover the previous owner had a small amount of what looks to be JB Weld over a small crack , well the reason for me taking the valve cover off was, one ..new bike lets check the valve shims to see if everything is in speck and two .. I noticed the crack had run a little further from where he put the jb weld and the valve cover was leaking from the area that didnt have jb weld on it ..
    So here is my question ? Whats your opinion on jb weld on an aluminum valve cover , & or is there a better product on the market ?
    & would a thin layer of JB weld be fine on the inside of valve cover ?
    Open to suggestions here ....

Crack is approx 1 1/4 " long .. and like I said oil was leaking from where the crack had spread .. it did appear as though the repair the previos owner did did seal the crack and it wasnt leaking from area

Comment

Exterior side . Showing the repair previous owner did .. but if you look closely you can see where crack ran another 1/2"

Comment

Pick of exterior side ..

Comment

JB weld is fine for the repair You may want to drill a small hole at the end of the crack so it does not spread any further. Just a 1/16th in hole at the very end then fill the hole with jbweld also
          1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
          80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
          1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished
          83 gs750ed- first new purchase
          85 EX500- vintage track weapon
          1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
          “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
          If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

Never used jb weld before would you recommend athick coat orcan it be applied thin andbe successfull ? And would you recommend applying inside andoutside of valve cover ?? And there should beenough clearance on the inside ?

Comment

If you want I think I have an extra valve cover.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

[QUOTE=tkent02;2046634]If you want I think I have an extra valve cover
                Approx how much would that cost ? And Iim in mississauga ontario canada .dont know how much shipping would cost .. but that definitely may be the rt I need to go !! .
                It is a small crack , may just give the jb weld a shot first.. but greatly appreciated

Comment

I so love this bike and cant wait to get it on the road !! Took it for a ride last week and she is a rocket !! Lol

Comment

Originally posted by hjfisk View Post
                    JB weld is fine for the repair You may want to drill a small hole at the end of the crack so it does not spread any further. Just a 1/16th in hole at the very end then fill the hole with jbweld also
                    Do you think using a dremil tool and just grinding a small groove on the interior side of cover before applyingthe jb weld would be better ? Rather then applyingto a smooth surface

Comment

Working...
                    X