X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help...clutch issues

Trying to fix a lunch problem. 1978 suzuki gs400 x

Backstory...
    Riding at cruising speeds noticed a what sounded like hesitation but bike maintained speed. Accelerator would get really stiff. Sometimes hard to get into first. These symptoms happened for a week until finally my chain snapped off at freeway speed. Someone had tightened it a few weeks prior.
    I opened her up. Clutch push rod was broken in four pieces. Chain was lost.
    They don't make the push rod so I made one. Put a new seal in. Bought a new chain.
    Now here is where I am,
    Chain is on, push rod is in
    I start the bike in neutral and find it tough going into first. When I do get it into first it starts to roll forward with clutch pulled in.
    Help!?

What length did you make the new push rod, did you use your old one for measurement? if so you state you were having issues prior to the chain braking, your new push rod may be too short, are you able to use small washers on the end of the rod to increase its length a bit at a time to see if this clears the problem.

Comment

Help...clutch issues

Hi Chris,
      I did use the broken rod, best I could, to get the length. Approximately 4".
      When I put the new rod in it actually felt too long. I finally got the nut loose on the spring assembly and backed out the threaded rod. When I pull the clutch lever in it pushes out the cover.

A couple other things were happening during the fix...

When I first took the cover off the front sprocket had about an inch of play (in the correct direction). Now it has full rotation in every gear.

Also With clutch cable still disengaged and chain off I was not able to find neutral

Holly

Comment

Working...
      X