I did search this

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I did search this

But with all the repetitive clutch questions, I never saw an answer. My 1981 850G slips on a somewhat hard pull. Normal riding is OK. It seems a bit abrupt when it disengages, a very short throw. I pulled the clutch cover and stuck a standard 1/4 inch washer on all 6 springs. I don't see a lot of difference, and my question is, did I do much to the spring tension or just waste my time? I'm trying to figure whether I need new springs of plates.

New springs will probably fix it. The plates don't wear much unless they are slipped a lot, but the springs hav been under compresssion since the bike was built. They are almost certainly shorter now. I'd go with new Suzuki springs, while you are in there measure the plates, if they are within limits put it back together and ride. If they are too worn replace them.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

What motor oil are you running in it?

Comment

15-40 diesel at the moment. I've tried several, Rotella, Trop Arctic, motorcycle specific blends, all no help. I use 15-40 quite a bit, in real hot weather I may run 20-50 Castrol. I jump around on oils, and change my oils a lot.

Comment

Originally posted by wymple View Post
          15-40 diesel at the moment. I've tried several, Rotella, Trop Arctic, motorcycle specific blends, all no help. I use 15-40 quite a bit, in real hot weather I may run 20-50 Castrol. I jump around on oils, and change my oils a lot.
          A 10w-40 Rotella is good enough whether it is the conventional or synthetic. I run a 10w-40 full synthetic with NO problems. Really no need for a 20-50. I would also suggest not jumping around on oil brands, find one you like and stick with it. Tkent is probably right on the clutch springs. You can either order stock springs or go with the EBC HD, I went with the EBC springs and like them very much. Much better then the springs I had, which turned out to be Barrnets HD springs. You needed a gorilla grip for those. When I went with the EBC springs it was much much better. EBC says their springs are about 15% stiffer then stock. I would also pull the plates and check them out and see what wear is on them as well.
          sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
          1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
          2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike:dancing: 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

That could be part of your problem.

Pick one and stick with it.

All of the oils you mentioned (and several others, I'm sure) are worthy of being put in your bike. However, each one of them has a slightly different additive package, and there is no guarantee that those additives are totally compatible.
            sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

It seems a bit abrupt when it disengages, a very short throw.
              Without knowing more about the clutch itself, it sounds like it is just an adjustment issue.

Have you pulled the clutch pack yet to examine the steel plates and fibres? Have you measured the spring length?

Even just pulling the clutch apart and cleaning up the plates and discs can result in improvement, but you need to know where you stand first.
              '83 GS650G
              '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

Working...
              X