Clutch spring question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clutch spring question

When I 'making progress' the clutch slips slightly, It is also a bit of a pig to get into neutral when hot.
    I have adjusted the clutch and it is the best I can get it.
    I took the springs out of my spare engine but they were so stiff I came home and re-fitted the old ones.
    I do not mind buying new springs, but could I:
    a) use half old & half stiff to test or
    b) fit some washers on the old ones to pack them out slightly

If either of the above is acceptable I will do it tonight as well as check all the plate thicknesses etc.

yep, use 3 stronger ones and 3 weaker ones. see what happens then.
    1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

And arrange them 'alternately' around the clutch center, of course.
      Re. being a pig to get into neutral, it could be that your clutch components may need a bit of attention:
      1. Check for warped clutch plates, and replace any that don't make the grade.
      2. Check the clutch hub and the clutch basket for indentations where the plates engage with the alloy. You may need to smooth things off with a Dremel or something if things are too notched.

Does the clutch drag when the engine is cold?

Comment

Originally posted by tfb View Post
        And arrange them 'alternately' around the clutch center, of course.
        Re. being a pig to get into neutral, it could be that your clutch components may need a bit of attention:
        1. Check for warped clutch plates, and replace any that don't make the grade.
        2. Check the clutch hub and the clutch basket for indentations where the plates engage with the alloy. You may need to smooth things off with a Dremel or something if things are too notched.

Does the clutch drag when the engine is cold?
        I will compare the basket with the one from my spare engine, I will also measure the plates etc tonight if I get time and report back.
        Last edited by Guest; 05-06-2014, 06:24 AM.

Comment

Working...
        X