Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

81 GS650L engine "whine" how much normal??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Barnbiketom, Have you done anymore to determine what the whine is ?

I have a newly acquired 1980 (September '79 build date) GS850LT shaftie and it makes EXACTLY the same whine at EXACTLY the same times under EXACTLY the same conditions. The youtube video sounded EXACTLY the same including all the wind noise.

On my bike, it sounds like it's coming from the left side of the engine/tranmsission. If you're not worried about it anymore, maybe I shouldn't be either.

Comment

Was there any resolution to this? My zx-10 project does this. Defintely sounds like a bearing that may be worn or something related to the clutch but I have no idea how to know for sure. Hope one of you guys figured it out?
      1982 GS550M Rebuilt Winter '12 - 550 to 673cc engine conversion.
      1989 Kawasaki ZX-7 Ninja
      2016 Ducati Scrambler Full Throttle

Comment

So I have this same problem on my ZX1000. It's really pretty loud. I thought about taking the clutch assembly apart but I'm not sure I would see anything that would identify where the whine is coming from. Mine rises and falls with RPM just like the OP's. Anyone else experience this and if so, what was the fix and how did you figure out what it was?

Thanks.
        1982 GS550M Rebuilt Winter '12 - 550 to 673cc engine conversion.
        1989 Kawasaki ZX-7 Ninja
        2016 Ducati Scrambler Full Throttle

Comment

Sounds like typical foreign bike clutch whistle (what I call it) to me. They all do it. My 2-cycle dirt bikes do too. I've never really figured out what causes it. It's not the gearbox as it can be most pronounced when just letting the clutch out, and the bike isn't even at a walking pace yet. It's not timing chain/valvetrain as the 2-cycles do it. Never let it bother me other than curiosity.

Comment

Working...
          X