Whats this bolt for?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Whats this bolt for?

I had a small oil leak and I traced it to this Chrome bolt directly under the pickup cover so I took it out to see what was behind it, I am none the wiser apart from that it should have had a 'O' ring or rubber washer and it did not, hence the leak, I tried to find something to use until I can get the proper 'O' ring but I could not find anything, so I had to resort to instant gasket.

Any ideas?

Last edited by Guest; 05-07-2014, 05:13 PM.

Can't say for sure, but I think it's a plug in the oil galley.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

If there is a spring inside that and it moves then its a pressure relief valve.
      sigpic

Don't say can't, as anything is possible with time and effort, but, if you don't have time things get tougher and require more effort.

Comment

Originally posted by tatu View Post
        If there is a spring inside that and it moves then its a pressure relief valve.
        No spring. I managed to find it listed on the parts fiche (item 24), it says its for the oil gallery pin, but whats it for??

Comment

That's an interesting bolt gizmo- fortunately my 650 doesn't have one and apparently doesn't need one! mine has a solid metal plug driven in flush with crankcase surface.
          1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
            That's an interesting bolt gizmo- fortunately my 650 doesn't have one and apparently doesn't need one! mine has a solid metal plug driven in flush with crankcase surface.
            That is what my spare engine is like as well, just a metal (looks like brass) plug that is flush with the surface.

Comment

Originally posted by UK-GT View Post
              No spring. I managed to find it listed on the parts fiche (item 24), it says its for the oil gallery pin, but whats it for??
              That's me out of ideas sorry, seems odd that there would be a double seal arrangement.
              sigpic

Don't say can't, as anything is possible with time and effort, but, if you don't have time things get tougher and require more effort.

Comment

Put a new o-ring on and reinstall it and forgetboutit
                sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
                1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
                2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike:dancing: 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Originally posted by mrbill5491 View Post
                  Put a new o-ring on and reinstall it and forgetboutit
                  No way, I gots to know what it's there for and why none for me!
                  1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Order and install 0-ring 25. No more leak, no more wondering.

Comment

No way, I gots to know what it's there for and why none for me!
                      As they say, lifes too short to worry. But they also say, the devils in the detail. But I think the saying that describes this the best, curiosity killed the cat!!
                      I am in the process of ordering the O ring but I need to sort out my clutch first (33year old springs).
                      I have done a search on the web but I can not find out what this 'gallery pin' is for and why some engines have it plugged and some do not.

I really want to get to the bottom of this, I hate starting something and drawing a blank.

I will try and keep this thread alive until I get an answer!!

Comment

I wonder if the fancy bolt is on early models (or vice versa) and then got added/eliminated later on- maybe engine designer contemplated oil cooler, but later decided it was overkill .
                        1981 gs650L

Comment

Can you work out the year of the engine from its serial number?

Comment

I wonder if the fancy bolt is on early models (or vice versa) and then got added/eliminated later on- maybe engine designer contemplated oil cooler, but later decided it was overkill .
                            The 650M (shaft drive baby kats) had oil coolers, didn't they?
                            '83 GS650G
                            '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

Working...
                            X