How to remove chain clip?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to remove chain clip?

It's been many decades. I'm trying to remove the spring clip from a 630 chain that is not yet installed.

I'm a little hesitant to grab the chain with vise-grips to steady it while I try to remove the clip. The farthest I've gotten is by pivoting a flat head screw driver in the middle of the clip.

I'm working on it right now. I'll take off the gloves, have another brew and wait for some responses. Let's save the comments about my chain size for another time.
    1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

in all those decades have you forgotten how to use a pair of pliers??

unbelievable!
    1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Originally posted by Agemax View Post
      in all those decades have you forgotten how to use a pair of pliers??

unbelievable!
      Could you be more specific, please? Needle-nose, vise-grips, what? And how, exactly?

I'm being delicate with it because I recently had a chain break at highway speeds and I'm still gun (chain) shy.
      1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Put one side of the plier 'jaws' on the furthest pin from the open end of the clip, put the other jaw on the open end of said clip, squeeze and twist. This with the ends of the jaws vertical to the link, should do it, just be patient. Smallish Channel Locks work well too.
        sigpicSome of the totally committed probably should be.
        '58 + '63 Vespa 150's' (London, GB/RI, US)
        '67 X6 T20 ('67 Long Beach, Ca.- misty-eyed)
        '71 Kaw. A1-ugh ('71 SF, CA- worked @ Kaw dlr)
        '66 Yam. YL1('72 SF-commuter beater)
        '73 Kaw. S2A-2Xugh ('73 SF-still parts slave)
        '78 GS 750C ('77 SF-old faithful-killed by son)
        '81 KZ 750E ('81 SF-back to Kaw. dlr)
        '81 GS 650G ('08 back to NE&ME- (project)
        '82 GS '82 (2) GS650GZ, L, Middlebury, G current

Comment

Originally posted by recycled64 View Post
          Put one side of the plier 'jaws' on the furthest pin from the open end of the clip, put the other jaw on the open end of said clip, squeeze and twist. This with the ends of the jaws vertical to the link, should do it, just be patient. Smallish Channel Locks work well too.
          Have a new clip to replace the one you took off, chances are you will probably twist it some and that ain't good. That is if you put that particular chain back on. If not disregard lol.
          sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
          1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
          2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Thanks, recycled64. Worked fine. But...

Specific answer, with no snide comments? I think you're on the wrong site.

Comment

Rob, Did you finish that brew? Oh did you get the clip off? I would also get a new clip like already stated.
              81 gs 1100 E One owner,Me.

Comment

Is this a new chain and a new clip or another old used one?

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by yank View Post
                  Rob, Did you finish that brew? Oh did you get the clip off? I would also get a new clip like already stated.
                  Beer finished, clip off, chain guard off, axle nut loosened, adjusters adjusted, chain on, clip on, grease greased, carpets ruined ("Honey, did this rug used to be white?").

Fingers raw, blood bled, expletives deleted, bike ready, more beer. Now I'm going to shop for two new sprockets and a chain. I'm going to try to ride gentle until then (it could happen).

Just like my hero Early Cuyler, I'm OK. I'm "firm as red clay, and constant as...constant as drinking. I'm constantly drinking."

Comment

Working...
                  X