Broke a ring...ugh!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Broke a ring...ugh!

Well, still trying to put my engine back together -- a project that I started late last spring. Anyway, in trying to slip the cylinder body over the pistons, I actually snapped one of the rings!

I hope I'm not the only person who's done this. I tried using hose clamps to keep the rings in place while I slipped the cylinders over the pistons..it sort of worked but, anyway, things seemed to be going on place nicely and I was feeling like it was coming together. Then I noticed one of the rings wasn't where it was supposed to be.

sure enough, I guess in pushing the cylinder body down I must have used too much force and broke it. I used a magnet to get the half out that had fallen into the engine.

Guess I'm ordering a new set of rings. I'm just glad I have a second bike to ride while I work on this project.

2 small screwdrivers and added chamfer to the bottom of the liners will make your life easy.

Comment

Originally posted by blowerbike View Post
      2 small screwdrivers and added chamfer to the bottom of the liners will make your life easy.
      Can you give a little more detail on the chamfering process? How and how much would be helpful?

I plan on rebuilding my spare GS1000G engine as well and anything that would assist in putting the cylinder jugs back on would be helpful. Not trying to thread jack, but I think it's relative to the conversation.
      http://img633.imageshack.us/img633/811/douMvs.jpg
      1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
      1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
      1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.;)

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

I've never broke on but I did bend one of the oil rings once. I've got installing the pistons and rings down part now. Just cut two pieces of wood as described in the Suzuki manuals. When you start dropping the head over the the two inner pistons you simple have the head at a bit of an angle. The one side of the piston and rings slips right in and then you simply push the other half in with your finger and then rotate the crank a tich moving the pistons up to the next ring, then repeat. The trick is using the crank to move the pistons up NOT pushing the head down.
        Rob
        1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
        Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Originally posted by JTGS850GL View Post
          Can you give a little more detail on the chamfering process
          Just use a cartridge roll on a dremel and very carefully take the edge off around the bottom of the cylinder on the inside. You don't have to take off much. Just take the sharp edge off. You can use a file too if you don't have a dremel.

Comment

Originally posted by azr View Post
            I've never broke on but I did bend one of the oil rings once. I've got installing the pistons and rings down part now. Just cut two pieces of wood as described in the Suzuki manuals. When you start dropping the head over the the two inner pistons you simple have the head at a bit of an angle. The one side of the piston and rings slips right in and then you simply push the other half in with your finger and then rotate the crank a tich moving the pistons up to the next ring, then repeat. The trick is using the crank to move the pistons up NOT pushing the head down.
            i usually find pistons work better when inserted into the cylinders rather than into the head!
            1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Originally posted by azr View Post
              Thanks.. I'll try this. It'll be a few days before I get the new rings.

Comment

Originally posted by jbthomp View Post
                Just use a cartridge roll on a dremel and very carefully take the edge off around the bottom of the cylinder on the inside. You don't have to take off much. Just take the sharp edge off. You can use a file too if you don't have a dremel.
                do as he says and life will be good.
                some cylinders i have installed literately fell on each pair of pistons.
                the more leading edge the better but careful nut to cut off your fingers when installing....

Comment

Good tip. Thanks!
                  http://img633.imageshack.us/img633/811/douMvs.jpg
                  1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
                  1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
                  1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.;)

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Working...
                  X