Bike laying on its side for awhile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bike laying on its side for awhile

Well someone pushed my bike over at a party last night. Not sure how long it laid on its side but probably over an hour and on my way home it was bogging pretty bad. What's up with it? Did it flood?

Gas likely spilled out of each carb throat and ventured on to crankcase oil- if your ride home was short, not enough time to evaporate it, so bike will run oddly. I'd take it for nice ride.
    Did it fall on petcock side? look for new friends!
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

I wouldnt ride it till I changed the oil..to err on the side of caution. And fuel soaked air filter may be a problem.
      MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
      1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

I'll definitely change the oil now. it didn't fall on petcock side and it has pods so soaked air filter isn't a problem

Comment

Tap on all the bowls with a heavy wrench to be sure the floats didnt get hung up while it was laying down too.
          MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
          1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Did fuel get into the oil? I've never seen that from laying on the side for a while.

Is the oil level higher than it was? Does it smell like fuel?
            http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

I used to be a scooter mechanic in Vegas and we would see fuel in the oil all the time on customer bikes that had been lying on their sides for as little as an hour. The all had the same vacuum style petcock we are familiar with on the old GS's. I've replaced more than one top end for it as well due to loss of lubricity in the oil etc.

Comment

I guess I've never left one on it's side for an hour.
                http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

wash it, the battery acid may be eating whatever it leaked on to.
                  GSX1300R NT650 XV535

Comment

Working...
                  X